Please sign in to post.

walkie talkie/2 way radios in France

Bonjour fellow travelers,
We will be traveling with another couple for 2 weeks in France. Since we won't be taking our cell phones do you think 2 way radios or walkie talkies will work in Paris and Venice, Italy. Don't want to buy an expensive one just something within 5-10 mile radius. What is a good brand. We live in San Francisco so what stores would carry them.

Merci beaucoup!

Posted by
15014 posts

They work beautifully...only one problem...the frequencies used for walkie talkies here, are the same ones used by emergency services there. Walkie Talkies bought here are illegal to use in Europe.

Posted by
32212 posts

Joanne,

Taking "Walkie-Talkies" from North America for use in Europe is NOT a good idea, and may be illegal. The frequencies authorized for use on North American models fall into the same range as some emergency services in Europe, so these could interfere with their communications.

In addition, the range specified for most Walkie-Talkies is based on "ideal conditions" and "line of sight". When used in cities and other "real world" applications, the range will be reduced.

Cell phones would be a better option, as texting is very inexpensive.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you Frank and Ken,
Didn't realize it was illegal. So should I buy a pay as you go phone to use. I'm always losing phones so the pay as you go would probably be the best way to go. I'm not a techie person. Got to be something simple! My husband will be carrying his work computer so we can use skype at house rental. Still need something for the outings. Huge thanks! Joanna