Please sign in to post.

Carry-on bags - Scandanavian Air

Flying Chicago to Copenhagen next month on SAS - they're website says "one carry-on only" for economy passengers with no elaboration ... I have a really small (fits underseat if necessary) bag for 3 weeks ... that's it ... Can I bring my medium (10 X 12 in) messenger-bag purse too? Other airlines are clear on this. Thanks. Pat

Posted by
990 posts

I don't think that SAS counts a laptop bag/personal item in addition to a carry-on. At least, they never have done when I flew them (still miss the Seattle to Copenhagen run...RIP).

They are pretty serious about the carry-on size and weight, though. Again, I'm speaking about the old Seattle crew, the London Heathrow crew, the Amsterdam crew, and the Copenhagen crew--no experience with Chicago, I'm afraid.

And according to the website that Steve linked to, it sounds like other passengers have had no problems with taking a personal item in addition to carry-on.

So, Steve, which airport have you flown out of where they wouldn't allow a personal item?

Posted by
292 posts

Just did Oslo-Paris about a week ago on SAS as an economy passenger and carried a Lowe Alpine carry-on size and a messenger bag about the same size as yours without any issues. I remember reading the one carry-on only thing on the website as well, but when I asked my check-in person if I got a personal item too she said "of course."

At the same time, I used to work at an airport, so I can tell you for sure that the rules are pretty subjective! You could get someone who won't let you, so practice stuffing your purse in the bag too!

Posted by
3313 posts

"One" doesn't mean just one. It means one carry-on bag that fits the prescribed dimension and one personal item such as a purse or laptop bag.

Posted by
251 posts

we traveled to Copenhagen on SAS on May 28th. my husband and I each had a 21 inch roller bag and a personal bag. We had no problems with taking them on-board. Love that airline- they treat you very well.

Posted by
12172 posts

Our ticket said one carry on item (no mention of a personal item) so that's what we carried. At the airport, I noticed them taking away many carry-on bags that were too large. I didn't notice any arguments about personal items (but I wasn't paying that close of attention).