Please sign in to post.

Venice Flooding...

I'm sorry if this was already talked about, I couldn't get the search to work. Anyway, I want to bring my parents to Italy this spring and we can't miss Venice but I don't want to deal with the tourist season (beyond the chaos it doesn't line up well when you work as a chef either.) I was there once in July and, while I loved the city, I hated the weather and the crowds. I was considering going in late March. We don't mind it cooler but could anyone tell me if there's a flooding concern at that point? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Posted by
9103 posts

It is known to flood that time of year, but it's usually just a minor inconvenience isolated to a small part of the city, albeit a popular spot: Piazza San Marco. If it does flood city workers quickly erect wooden platforms so you can keep mostly dry. A couple years ago I visited Venice first week of March, it was cold, windy, and a bit of rain, and a little bit of flooding.....but no crowds and I had a wonderful time. I would do it again in a second: http://tinyurl.com/2xhqpg

Posted by
1829 posts

We were in Venice at the begining of March this year and it was busier than we expected, although not as bad as in the summer months. Venice is very much a year round destination. There could be an aqua alta at that time but who can predict exactly when. There has to be a combination of high tides, wind direction and the right atmospheric pressure for it to occur. This is more likely to happen in the autumn, winter and spring months. When the tide recedes it is all over.......... The city is well prepared to deal with them and most times it is the area around St Marks, being the lowest, that is most affected..... Edit - like most of Europe this year it was bitterly cold (a snowstorm the day after we left!) but beautiful sunshine. So be prepared to wrap up well.

Posted by
3580 posts

I'm considering a day-trip from Florence to Venice in November. I may skip that trip because of the possibility of flooding...... I've been in Venice during floods. It wan't difficult to get around, even with regular walking shoes....Our guide carried rainboots in her bag....I think St. Mark's piazza floods more readily because it is lower than other areas of the city....Of course, that's where everybody wants most to visit.....

Posted by
12172 posts

We were there in late October and saw a little of the flooding. It looked like it had rained overnight and was pooling in part (only part) of Piazza San Marco. They had the planking out and ready but it was easy to walk around any pooled water. By afternoon it was completely gone.......................Generally it was no big deal as most of the city isn't affected at all (a plus 90 centimeter tide will affect less than 2 percent of Venice). I saw some people put plastic bags over their feet. Even in the affected places, the merchants still operate and life goes on.

Posted by
1170 posts

The worst flooding (waist deep in San Marco) happened a couple of years ago early in December. The cooler months are more prone to this because of tide and weather patterns. Think of it as all a part of the experience.

Posted by
646 posts

I wouldn't skip Venice because of flooding. As other posters said, San Marco is probably most troubled by the flooding when it occurs.

Posted by
10344 posts

You said March and according to Rick that's the month of greatest frequency of flooding. Rick also says Venice floods about 100 times a year, but it's not clear if he means a 100 days or what (there might be 2 floods in one day). Most people posting here haven't reported big problems, but I guess if you're concerned then the stats would say March is pushing the odds a bit.

Posted by
7580 posts

I go with the group that says I would not skip Venice due to the typical flooding seen that time of year. They handle it well and to be honest, we found it an interesting diversion when we were there last February.

Posted by
3551 posts

Ck that there are no catholic/itlaian holidays when planning your trip. Alot could be closed or lodging all full.

Posted by
28 posts

Thank you all for your comments, all were very helpful and I'm incredibly tankfull. I'd like to hear more, if anybody has more input.

Posted by
20 posts

The tide comes in and the tide goes out....so even if there is aqua alta it subsides within an hour or two. Please don't let that be the reason you skip Venice!!

Posted by
7737 posts

A lot of people don't realize that Venice isn't completely level. There are lower parts and higher parts. Piazza San Marco is among the lowest and it floods easily during acqua altar, but as noted it's usually just a few inches and only for a few hours. If that happens, just plan on wandering around in the higher parts of Venice. And think of the great stories you'll be able to tell! Have fun.

Posted by
70 posts

what we found is that at the chamber of commerce on the same side as to where you arrive via the train is a great place for info. Thus as you exit the train station heading towards the canal, turn right. Walk toward the walking bridge. They have a pretty cool deal where they can predict the tides and the height by the hour. We were going to attend a concert in the square and of course they wanted to sell us a ticket. Well the lady indicated no problem we enter the church for the concert, but by the time the concert was over the tide would have risen. Yikes Have fun. I think off season is a good idea. Cooler, shorter days, weather a bit more iffy but a LOT LESS CROWDED. Rich

Posted by
2207 posts

We've been in Venice a few times during the "high water" season. The last time was in December and the water in some parts of the city was mid-calf. When we visit Venice in the off-season, we always take our "wellies" and thus, never have problems. I have seen some creative "plastic-bag" boots in my stays there. You can also purchase boots in many of the hardware shops for about €10-12 if luggage-space is a challenge. Probably the most concerning issue - especially if you're going with children - is you must be careful when walking on back or dark canals. With the water up to your calves you can walk right off the sidewalk and INTO a canal. This happened to my son when he was not paying attention on Murano. Leads to a very wet - and possibly dangerous - experience. Fortunately, he was more embarrassed than injured.

Posted by
100 posts

I was in Venice in 08 and got very lucky because I got there after Christmas and it was flooded heavily just weeks earlier and also Rome got some flooding too then. Our hotel had rubber boots standing by to be passed out to the guests just in case and the stacks of wooden walkways seem to have a permanent place in St. Marks, just waiting to be deployed. It's going to flood sometime, you can be sure of that. We went anyway, ready to deal with the water and the cold weather and got lucky and the crowds were light.

Posted by
120 posts

I have searched for and found tide charts for Venice on the web. I'll be going in May 2011 and was concerned about aqua alta. Turns out the full moon is not utill the following week and tides were moderate. Do a similar investigation.

Posted by
32921 posts

I wouldn't worry about flooding, acqua alta, in May.