Please sign in to post.

Brussels Delhaize Trappist beers?

I know they, Delhaize grocery, stock various Trappist beers in their Brussles store but does anyone (their website does not list their beer selections)know if they stock Westvleteren? Thanks as always.

Posted by
12040 posts

As far as I know, you can only purchase that beer directly from the monastery. I don't usually shop at Delhaize when in Belgium, but I've never seen it at Carrefour or a beverage market... and yes, I've looked.

Posted by
296 posts

Thanks. I agree, that beer is hard to get.

Posted by
296 posts

Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries. Basically, you have to go to the Abbey or the Café In de Vrede to buy their beers.

Posted by
473 posts

Jerry, for some beers that are more readily available around Chicago, have you tried Westmalle, Rochefort, or St. Bernardus Abt 12? Agreed, they're not Westvleteren, but they are very good and very close to it. All are readily available at Binny's. The Belgian selection at the Naperville Binny's is a
tad limited. I've found that the Schaumburg store has a very good beer selection. The new Algonquin store has a massive beer selection.

Posted by
4408 posts

Jerry, to read their (Belgian) website, it says their "Le Lion" stores exclusively carry Achel blonde and brune, but otherwise merely describe the differences b/n Trappist and Abbey beers...I'm sure they carry some other Trappist beers - it's Belgium, AKA Beer Heaven. But Westvleteren...? I'm not holding my breath...but I'm always hopeful!!!

Ah, the never-ending hunt for Westvleteren...;-)

Posted by
296 posts

Eileen my wife is a pilot for United. Matter of fact she'll be in Brussels tomorrow. She makes a stop at Delhaize for me to purchase a few bottles of the various Trappist beers which are all very good. But I've always wanted to try Westvleteren.

Posted by
296 posts

Rick I've tried the beers you listed. They are sold at Delhaize. My wife is there frequently. And yes they are very good tasting brews.

Posted by
12040 posts

Although I'm sure it's the thought that counts, you could probably find Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Achel, Westmalle and maybe even La Trappe in your hometown if you look hard enough.

Maybe next time I have a long weekend in Belgium I'll try to get a hold of some Westvleteren to see if it lives up to it's Holy Grail reputation.

Posted by
34 posts

For the ones interested in visiting one or more small local breweries in Belgium, I collected some usefull stuff about tours where individuals can join ...

Main advice: always check their sites and contact them in advance as sometimes a reservation is needed.

Posted by
101 posts

Please don't take this as boasting, but I had a Westvleteren 12 about 3 weeks ago (as well as all the other trappist beers along with multiple abbey beers) and I must be honest...it's fantastic! BUT, so were many of the others. With all that said St Sixt really tries to control the distribution of Westvleteren and only allows a few places to resell. If you're caught reselling without permission (even individuals), it's said you will be barred from ever purchasing it again. They also limit the quantity you can purchase from 1 to 3 cases depending upon the offering. There is a shop around Brussels that sells it, but at this moment I can't recall the name. If anyone really wants the name of the shop, send me a PM and I'll hunt it down. Hope you all find your Westvleteren, if nothing else it's worth saying your one of the few Americans to drink it. But, it is a darn fine beer:)

Posted by
12040 posts

Yet another good reason to visit Ghent! By the way, Fiets, you wouldn't happen to be a avid cyclist, would you?

Posted by
4408 posts

;-) (And I'm coming to visit your cellar...I'll send a PM first)