Please sign in to post.

Italy: use of a multiplug powerstrip with converter

When traveling in Italy, will it work to use a multi-outlet powerstrip (maybe 4-5 outlets) then plug that into a voltage convert, and then to a plug converter (and into the Italian outlet)? We are a traveling family of 4 with ipods, kendles, and digital camera batteries to charge, and I suspect most hotels will only have 2-3 outlets

Posted by
354 posts

From the list of electronic devices you listed, you might not need the voltage converter in that setup. Most modern electronics can automatically handle North American as well as European voltages. Your owners manuals or charging cables can confirm. Just don't overload the power strip with too many devices at one time.

Posted by
11363 posts

Thanks to someone on this helpline (Ken from Vernon, I think it was you), I bought this device http://us.kensington.com/html/16238.html. You simply need a usb cable to charge you devices. Takes up little space and weighs nothing. It is perfect for phones, kindles, ipods. Also no voltage converter required.

Posted by
32222 posts

Steve, There are a few reasons why it's not a good idea to use a Power Bar in the configuration you mentioned. To begin with, when connecting a Power Bar to a Voltage Converter, the Converter would require adequate capacity to supply ALL of the loads connected to it at any one time via the Power Bar. For example, if you were using a 50-watt Transformer based Voltage Converter, it's possible that it could be overloaded when connecting multiple devices to the the Power Bar. In this case, the capacity of the Voltage Converter is a "limiting factor". Even if you were slightly under the 50-watt limit, it's not a good idea to use these at maximum capacity, as heating will result. Using a 1600-2000 watt solid-state Voltage Converter connected to the Power Bar will not solve the problem, as that type of Converter SHOULD NOT be used with electronic Chargers such as the type of devices you mentioned, as the Chargers could "self destruct" (possibly in spectacular fashion). Charging multiple devices such as iPods that use USB-level voltages is easy with a product like This. The only "extra part" required is a Plug Adapter. If your digital Cameras use "proprietary" Batteries with dedicated Chargers, you could use a Power Bar to charge those. However, it's extremely important to use a basic model Bar, without surge suppression or RFI filtering. There's a suitable model shown on the Magellans website. Note that if you're travelling in both the U.K. and continental Europe you'll require two different Plug Adapters. I'd suggest taking more than one of each type, in case one is "misplaced" or whatever. Happy travels!