Please sign in to post.

Rail Travel

Since my husband and I have always booked European tours that include all air transportation, I am not sure exactly what to do for the Rick Steve's 17-day Italy tour. It starts in Milan and ends in Rome. Would we be better off to fly into and out of Milan? At the end of the tour, could we take a train from Rome to Milan, stay overnight, then fly back to JFK the next day? It seems that doing an open-jaw flight arrangement into Milan and returning from Rome is very expensive. We're just not sure what to do here. Maybe some of you more experienced travellers could give us some tips. Thanks!

Posted by
1265 posts

Pamela - Which date are you looking at for the 17 day tour? I would recommend an open-jaw flight. I have never been a fan of back tracking. I found an open-jaw flight on Aer Lingus from JFK for $722 departing April 19 returning May 6. If you return May 7 the flight is $20 cheaper. Try using kayak.com to look at flights.

Posted by
16379 posts

What is the difference in the price of an open-jaw ticket? Compare that to the costs involved in returning to Milan. The Frecciarossa train takes 3 hours and the regular fare is 91 euro per person in 2d class, but you can probably get a mini fare of 55 euro by buying in advance. to that you would add the cost of a hotel in Molan for the night. Milan hotels are notoriously expensive, especially during certain times such as trade fair season. On the other hand, so hotels offer good deals on weekends. If there are things you would like to see in Milan that are not covered on the RS tour, that would be an additional reason to return. But look carefully at the hotel and travel expenses before you assume that the open-jaw flight is the more expensive option.

Posted by
4 posts

Joel,
Thanks for the information. I will try Kayak.com

Posted by
23318 posts

You doing something incorrect. All of our trips are open jaw and I have never found open jaw tickets to be more expensive than round trips and sometimes cheaper. Three years ago a trip into Rome and home from Zurich was $200/person cheaper than RT Rome. Last trip was into Strassbourg and home from Prague via JFK and it same price as RT to Amsterdam. Give me you dates and I will run a check for you.

Posted by
4 posts

Frank,
You're right! I must be doing something wrong! We don't have definite dates yet, but it will be in 2012. Probably in Sept., so I know those dates are not out yet. I was pricing the JFK to Milan then Rome to JFK flights separately using next August. I stopped after I got a price of $2300 pp for the outbound flights!! So, yes...I must be doing something wrong! We've only done river cruises in Europe, and the transportation has always been included, so I'm not that familiar with booking air, rail, etc. I'm not even sure where to start!

Posted by
16379 posts

Try Kayak.com and choose "multi-city" to find prices for open-jaw flights.

Posted by
15165 posts

Do what Lola says. You were booking "one way flights" which can be more expensive than round trip. Use the "multi-city" options and you should see a big difference.

Posted by
23318 posts

Just did a quick check for JFK to Milan and home from Rome, mid of the week, middle of July which would be peak and more expensive. Found one stop for $1220 and non stop for $1600. RT to Milan was $1207 for one stop and $1700 for non stop. Something in September should be less than that.