Please sign in to post.

Cell phones -- Why should this be so hard?

After reading RS' Paris and Graffiti Wall postings, I'm still confused about what to do about cell phone service while I travel to France for 12 days. Is there a website that provides objective advice on what carriers and equipment you currently have in the U.S., what type of phone usage will be needed while in Europe (calls within Europe or to the States, etc.), and objective and cost-effective advice on what to do? For example, my wife and I currently have smartphones on Verizon and Sprint and want to have a cell phone while in France to make calls to hotels and restaurants, and are wondering about whether Verizon's coverage is any good in France -- Loire Valley, Normandy, Burgundy, and Paris, etc., etc.

Posted by
9363 posts

Unless your phones are GSM phones, they won't work in Europe for phone calls (you can still use the internet via wifi), so coverage won't matter. If all you want to use your phones for is local calls, the most cost effective solution would be to just buy a cheap PAYG phone or use payphones. Realistically, how often are you going to be calling hotels and restaurants, anyway?

Posted by
11294 posts

You're right, it is confusing, and no, I'm not aware of any one site that makes it simple. Part of the reason is that everyone's needs and wishes differ, so no single solution is best for everyone. The other problem is that things change constantly, both in the US and in Europe. First of all, most Verizon and Sprint phones will not work in Europe, but some will. You need to check with the companies to see if the phones will work and what the charges will be for voice, text and data (and it won't be cheap, but for occasional use may be easiest). Second, once you know whether your phones will work and how much it will cost, you need to figure out your needs. For what you mentioned above (calling hotels and restaurants): are these occasional or frequent calls? Will you also be wanting to call each other, or will text be sufficient, or is this not necessary at all? Will you be calling back to the US, and if so, again, only in emergencies or daily? Will people in the US want or need to reach you on your cell? Will these people be comfortable calling (and paying for) an international number? Can they text you at a French mobile (much cheaper than calling a French mobile from the US) and then you call them back? Will you also be wanting to access data on your phones (e-mail, websites, apps) or just voice and text? These are the factors that go into the calculation. Once you post this information, others can give more help.

Posted by
32220 posts

Scott, First of all, if "Somewhere in Colorado" is close to Denver, you might find it helpful to attend the next RS group meeting. It's usually held in a Panera Bread in the Denver area on the third Saturday of the month. The members from that area can provide more specific details. What type of "Smartphones" are you using? Verizon iPhone 4S models will work in Europe, but there are a few steps to take first. AFAIK, there are no Sprint models that will work in Europe, although both Verizon and Sprint offer "International Services. Contact them for details. This is not really "so hard". There are two easy choices you can consider.... (1.) Pick up a cheap PAYG phone when you arrive in France. The menus will likely be in French, so you'll need help setting it up. This will provide the cheapest rates for calls "in-country" and calls to the U.S. will probably depend on which plan you choose when you sign up. (2.) Buy an inexpensive Cell phone from one of the "Travel Phone" firms such as Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Call In Europe, Telestial, Mobal or TruPhone. These are usually supplied with a U.K. number, which will work throughout Europe with consistent rates (rates higher for eastern Europe). Billing is usually post-paid, with charges billed to a credit card. Check the respective websites for details. The advantage of this approach is that you would have a working phone as soon as you step off the plane. You'll probably find that the "travel phones" from Verizon and Sprint come with fairly pricey operating costs, so the two options above are more cost effective. Bon Voyage!

Posted by
12172 posts

I had a Razr phone, for the last five years or so, that worked fine in Europe, but it died last summer so I had the same dilemma. I opted to buy a phone in Europe to ensure it would work (not just whether it was GSM but whether it would work). I ended up with a Vodaphone. Their cheapest option was a small Samsung phone for 25 euros that included ten euros credit at 8 cents a minute. If you're using it in only one country, buying your Simcard in that country will get you the best rate. Full disclosure the phone stopped working inside two weeks, but I think it got wet from all the rain we experienced. I ended up buying another just like it so I could use the extra battery. We also used Skype with our Ipod for calls home at a few cents per minute. It worked fine (to call European numbers we needed to use foreign access codes as if calling from the US) but you need a wifi signal and earbuds with a microphone.

Posted by
380 posts

Scott,
I'm also going to France (only), and have a Verizon phone, which isn't a Smart phone & wouldn't work overseas. Like you, I only plan to make calls within France (to confirm some tours, dinners, etc.). For me, I've decided the best option is to use Verizon's Global Traveler program -- they send me a phone (with adapter/converter) at no charge except $19.99 for shipping costs, and I pay $1.49 per minute. Not cheap rates, but my calls can all be kept to under 1 minute.

Posted by
11294 posts

Shelly (and others reading this): the issue isn't smartphone vs. dumbphone. It's about the carriers and their technologies, and the individual phone models and their technologies. For voice and text, European carriers use a technology called GSM, on the 900 and 1800 frequencies (called bands). These phones use a SIM (subscriber identity module) as the "brain" of the phone. US carriers: AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM, on 850 and 1900 bands. So, if you have a phone from them (smart or dumb) and it has 3 or preferably all 4 bands, it can work in Europe. For phones obtained through these companies: almost all smartphones ("app phones" with Apple or Android) have all 4 bands; most Blackberrys do; many Motorola dumbphones do; Nokia, Samsung, and other brands of dumbphones vary. You have to check your individual model (sometimes the carrier's website can tell you). Note that phones bought through the carrier are locked, meaning that it won't work with other company's SIM cards. So, the phone will work as a US phone, with your usual number and high rates. You can get the phone unlocked (call the carrier to ask how), or can buy an unlocked phone that will work with any SIM. When you put in, say, a French SIM, you now have a French phone, with a French number and charging French rates. When your trip is over, change back to your US SIM. If your US phone is only dual band, it won't work in Europe. Note that cheap dumbphones bought in Europe will also be dual band, but 900/1800, as opposed to the 850/1900 dual band models sold in the US. So, while you can use it all over Europe, it won't work back in the US. continued...

Posted by
11294 posts

continued.. Verizon and Sprint use a different technology, called CDMA. This system does not use SIM cards. It is totally incompatible with the GSM system (the way an AM-only radio simply can't get FM broadcasts). HOWEVER, both companies sell some "world phones" that have both CDMA and GSM for 900/1800, so they indeed work in Europe. Again, this is not a matter of smart vs. dumb; the Verizon iPhone 4 does not have GSM, and the Verizon iPhone 4S does. Several Blackberrys are also made as world phones for these companies. If your phone doesn't have a SIM card, it's not GSM, and cannot work in Europe. If it does, you need to check if it has the correct frequencies (you want to see 900 or 1800). If it has the frequencies, you need to determine if you want to use your US carrier and its number (convenient for receiving calls from the US, not so convenient for receiving calls within Europe) and its rates (high). If you want to use a local carrier for much lower rates, you need to get the phone unlocked. Again, the companies have varying policies, depending on the type of phone and how long you've had it, but it can often be done for free by them, or else for a fee by someone else. BTW, the SIM card is usually under the battery, but iPhone SIMs are in a compartment on the side of the phone (since the battery is not removable). Newer iPhones take a micro-SIM; all other phones (so far) take a regular SIM (still quite small, about the size of a fingerail). So, unless you're dealing with a newer iPhone, SIM cards are universal. If you are confused about how to change SIMs, Europeans are much more used to this than Americans are, so you will find lots of helpers. Whew! See why it's confusing? It's not your imagination - it IS a lot to absorb! Good luck!

Posted by
1152 posts

Harold has written a nice overview of the different technologies. For Scott, though, for a 12-day trip, I agree with the advice to try Verizon's loaner phone program. Rates aren't cheap, but it is convenient and allows you to use your own existing cell number. Just use it sparingly. As far as Verizon's coverage, I assume Verizon has roaming agreements with the major carriers and you'll get a good signal in most populated areas. With T-Mobile, my carrier, for example, I can roam on multiple carriers in each country so my phone just connects to whichever has the strongest signal wherever I am. That means I actually have better connections than a native user who is (usually) limited to just his or her carrier. If that doesn't suit you, just buy a low-cost prepaid phone once you arrive (or two if you think you and your wife may go to separate things). It really isn't that expensive and it is convenient for making local calls.

Posted by
1512 posts

We used another option than those above. We bought a used unlocked phone with 900/1800 frequency via the internet. It cost about $30. We then bought a US sim card to verfy the phone actually worked before we left. Cost was $10 with 30 minutes of calls. So far we have used this phone on two trips in Turkey and Portugal. When we arrive in the country we buy a sim card for that country. There are phone stores in all the airports and in towns. There's a small fee for the card and they come with about 30 minutes of calls, usually enough for what we need. Adding more minutes is easy. In Portugal it cost 15Euro. Don't remember the cost in Turkey but it was comparable. It should be a similar cost in France. If you travel a lot, your own phone makes things easier as you only have to get an inexpensive sim card. Having an old, used phone doesn't matter as it's really used very little. This option has worked well for us.