Please sign in to post.

where to live in europe

I am considering living in Europe for 6-8 months out of the year. I don't know what sort of apartments/housing are for rent nor do I know where to find them. I don't mind living in a smaller village as long as it has train service to the various capitols. Any advise ? Thanks, BG
USA

Posted by
295 posts

Your first task is to go to the history sections of this forum and research the Schengen agreement in great depth. You can stay within the zone (most of Europe) only 90 of any 180 days. The exception is if you stay beyond the 90 days in a non-Schengen zone (England and some others). You will probably ant to stay in one location, and you can then get an extended visa from the country you stay in. This is a bureaucratic process with a lot of oddities - you must prove you have sufficient income (varies with country), have health insurance that works in the Schengen zone (really specific requirements for this, I can put you in contact with an excellent insurance agent for this), and meet a lot of other requirements (especially for France, for example: you usually have to apply at a consulate in person, have a place to stay already rented). The requirements are usually posted on the country's web site, but that doesn't guarantee anything. We have investigated this quite thoroughly, as we retire in two years and have planned staying six months (or more) of each year in Europe. They are usually quite happy to have retired peoploe spend their money there, but is you are younger you will have a doozy of a time getting an extended visa. Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress!

Posted by
6643 posts

Forget about trains and apartments until you understand the legalities. You'll need a resident visa for that length of time. Will you be a student there, or have a job? Those are the customary grounds for the granting of such visas. Otherwise, your stays will need to be on 3-month tourist visas.

Posted by
23269 posts

Living is going to be limited to where it is the easiest to obtain a long term stay visa. I did a little checking last year and it appears that France might be the easiest. Spain required a background check that had to be conducted by the national police (FBI) and would not accept a local check. You can stay in England for six months without a special visa. Obtaining the visa is the first issue.

Posted by
517 posts

Maybe Brian is talking about living part-time in Europe after he retires. (?) I met a couple who spend October through March in Florida, where their kids live, and April thru September in Vienna. Sounds pretty ideal. Although this is second hand and I haven't looked it up (I've still got a stretch before retirement!), I am told that Austria is accommodating about letting retirees have residence permits... but you need to be able to show that you have health coverage and adequate financial resources/retirement income. As I said, I have not personally verified this. I agree that Brian needs to first look into if its legally possible in his situation. Any details to add, Brian, about your idea/plan?

Posted by
3049 posts

Do you have loads of money AND a job that you can do in Europe? Because you won't be able to obtain a visa in many countries without proof of both. Honestly, moving to Europe without a company paying for you to do so is really difficult. I think the absolute easiest way to do it is to get a US Government job - usajobs.gov. Most of the jobs are in Germany but some are available in Spain and Italy as well. But those jobs are difficult to get, particularly if you aren't already in the GS system, or aren't a veteran. You also need to consider language. Do you speak any European languages? Some places you can get by without knowing the local language but others would be far more difficult.

Posted by
964 posts

Hi Brian, given that the legalities are sorted out, Europe is a pretty big and diverse area; do you have a preference for any particular country? That would be the first thing to decide I think.
Once you've decided that, to find places to rent, you could start with local real estate agents. Google would help with that.

Posted by
2779 posts

Where to live or base? First of all which are the European countries where your US money is worth most? From that list which ones make it easy for US citizens to buy or rent property? Where can you easily open a local bank account (which you will need)? And then who let's you legally stay for 6 or 9 months? Then: What climate zone would you like to live in? Mediterranean or Baltic Sea coast (have you ever spent a summer in Sweden? You might not want to go back to the Mediterranean anymore at all!). What society would you like to live in? Catholic conservatives (South) or most liberal protestants or atheists (Center and North)?

Posted by
32771 posts

brian, I'm sorry but your question is a tad broad and vague. Europe is composed of 50 countries and territories, from Iceland to Russia over an area larger than the USA. Can you fill in a little of the detail please if you'd like specific answers rather than generalizations? Thanks

Posted by
33 posts

I have a niece and nephew who lived for about 4 years in Berlin, and have now moved to Barcelona. In both Berlin and now Barcelona, they have sublet. As far as the visa info those more experienced are providing you, I can't help on that. She has dual citizenship, so I am sure that somehow works in her favor...I am just not up on all the legalities. I'll try to find the name of the company/site she used to get the aptartment in Barcelona (three blocks from the ocean!).

Posted by
15585 posts

Here's something for you all to think about. Friends of mine were considering setting up a second residence as a vacation home. I don't remember any of the details.. . not relevant anyway. They contacted a local real estate agent and set up 2 or 3 properties to view on a scouting/vacation trip. They gave up the idea, but they said it was great to see the properties, and since then they have several times contacted agents and viewed properties as part of their tourist activities. It gives them the opportunity to "see how the locals live" - both seeing the homes and chatting with the agents about living conditions.

Posted by
12172 posts

Sarah's answer is the most realistic. With Europe (like the US) in the throws of an economic downturn, there is a special emphasis on preserving jobs for Europeans. Asking for a long-term visa isn't likely to be received well unless you can show either you have approved employment already lined-up (like a US govt job) or don't need to work because you have plenty of money. The short hops by plane make it easier to get around than it used to be but a centrally located country (like France) is easier to take short trips from.

Posted by
32771 posts

Chani, they have several times contacted agents and viewed properties as part of their tourist activities. It gives them the opportunity to "see how the locals live" I can understand them trying the first time sincerely and failing. What I can't get my head around is they have several times contacted agents and viewed properties as part of their tourist activities. It gives them the opportunity to "see how the locals live" . If they are using these agents as entertainment I hope they paid for it. Otherwise it smacks of cheating a hard working person with no intention to reward them for their work. They shouldn't be expected to cart around people on a lark.

Posted by
1806 posts

Agree w/ Nigel. I worked as a commercial leasing agent specifically because I didn't want to deal with some of the idiots who get their jollies kicking the tires with no intention of buying anything whatsoever in the residential market simply because they want to see how other people live. Your friends are wasting agents time. Time that could otherwise be spent securing new listings or showing to people with a genuine interest in buying. Agents work on commission. Most of them are paying for the gas and parking required to cart around potential customers out of their own pockets. To suggest others should consider doing the same as your friends is ridiculous. While it started off innocently enough, to continue to have agents jump thru hoops like a circus animal is really lame.

Posted by
2193 posts

Perhaps you should visit your local library or bookstore and thumb through a copy of one of the Moon Living Abroad series of books. I know they have titles on France, Ireland, Spain, Italy, and probably more in Europe. They have titles, in fact, for places around the globe. Lots of good information...will get you to start thinking through some of the details you've probably not considered yet but need to.

Posted by
295 posts

Start watching House Hunters International on HGTV. They have people buying and renting houses around the world, and it gives you great ideas, as well as an inkling of prices. Apartment rentals an be found on VRBO.com and Homeaway.com, for starters - I've rented apartments each summer through both with great results.