Please sign in to post.

Cochem to Burg Eltz

We are taking a day boat trip from Cochem to Beilstein and wonder if the boat goes to Burg Eltz as well? OR is their a train from Cochem to Burg Eltz. Tried the bahn.de site but there are a lot of listings under Burg Eltz and did not know what one to chose.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
32206 posts

Shelley, For travel to Burg Eltz, I believe a new Shuttle service has started this year, but I can't remember the details. I'd have to do some searching on the net. The usual route that many travellers take is to do the hike from Moselkern, which takes about an hour each way (depending on your hiking speed). You'll arrive in the valley floor below the Castle, cross a small bridge and then climb the stairs to the entrance point. I used a Taxi from Moselkern on my last visit, but that's an expensive option and would have to be pre-arranged. The Taxi firm I used was based in Löf, so it might be better to disembark at the small station there if you'll be using a Taxi. If you travel by road to the Castle, you'll have to either walk down the steep hill or take the Shuttle from the car park (€1 each way I believe). I found the small charge for the Shuttle was absolutely worth it, especially on a hot afternoon. You might consider taking the Shuttle in one direction and walking the other, as there's a great vantage point for photos about half way up the hill. One point to note is that the Castle is currently undergoing renovations, so there may still be some scaffolding on the outside. Happy travels!

Posted by
649 posts

Ken Once again thank you for your indepth information. I will check out the train schedule - perhaps thru out hotel. If there is not enough time,the boat trip to Beilstein will have to do. We are only there for 1-1/2 days so have to time things right.

Posted by
6637 posts

Ken: I'm curious what you found on this new shuttle to Burg Eltz. I didn't see anything at the Burg Eltz website. Shelley: Cochem's Reichsburg Castle is right in town - you might head there for a walk around. The falconry show there is the real highlight, IMO. Photos: http://www.falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/fotobuch.htm

Posted by
19092 posts

There is no train station at Burg Eltz. The train stops at Moselkern, from which it is a walk to Burg Eltz. On the Bahn, "Moselkern" is the train stop in Moselkern, Moselkern Bahnhof. "Moselkern KD" is the boat landing for the KD line. The others are bus stops in Moselkern. There are also no bus stops right at the Burg. If you use the option "station/stop" you will get a route to a bus stop, Wierschem, near the Burg. If you pick POI "point of interest", you will see the entire route. There are buses from Treis-Karden or Hatzenport to Wierschem, which, according to the Bahn, is an 11 min walk from the castle. The bus from Hatzenport might be the "shuttle" to which Ken refers.

Posted by
32206 posts

@Russ, Perhaps what I was thinking of was from a Post you made to the HelpLine on 3/23/12, which stated: "Starting in April we will launch a new shuttle service to Burg Eltz including the starting points airports Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt/Hahn. Furthermore it will be started a shuttle from Moselkern station to Burg Eltz including services for accompanied luggage. This new service package will upgrade the opportunities visiting Burg Eltz and the whole range of Mosell highlights. We are looking forward launching an special website for this service. Until then you can get more information by contacting the Burg Eltz team or by visiting www.chauffeur-auf-zeit.de including more contact options. Peter Michels
Head of business development of local government of Treis-Karden" I also couldn't find any information on the Burg Eltz website. Perhaps the new service didn't launch as expected? I'm still trying to find more information on the subject. In the meantime, it looks like the only options are to hike, use a rental car or hire a Taxi. Cheers!

Posted by
6637 posts

Ken: I've had some time to look around. I can't find anything on that shuttle either. But there apparently is now a "Burgenbus" or "Castle Bus" - line 330 between Hatzenport and Treis-Karden, two Mosel River towns. On weekends and holidays, the bus heads into the hills 4 times per day in each direction and connects Burg Pyrmont and Burg Eltz with these towns. http://tourismus.treis-karden.de/vg_treis_karden_tourismus/Tourismus/Aktuelles/Aus%20dem%20Tourismusbereich/Burgenbus/Fahrplan%20330.pdf There's a Burg Eltz bus stop 20 minutes by foot from the castle; this brochure in German describes the route's highlights: http://tourismus.treis-karden.de/vg_treis_karden_tourismus/Tourismus/Aktuelles/Aus%20dem%20Tourismusbereich/Burgenbus/MDB74828-burgenbus.pdf

Posted by
32206 posts

@Russ, It still sounds like getting to the Castle is not going to be an easy trip, depending on whether travellers can connect with the Buses you mentioned. If I decide to visit Burg Eltz again, I'll either rent a Car or budget for the Taxi. The hike from Moselkern is not an option for me, for a couple of reasons.