Please sign in to post.

Best Way To Get Cash

We are flying into London and then flying to Paris (a few hours later). We'll want cash when we get to LHR for food and will need $$ when we get into Paris for the Metro as we don't have a CC with a chip. I know that I've read that LHR only has awful Travelex, is CDG the same? Will we easily be able to make an ATM withdraw? We are then taking a train (Thalys) to Belgium and then back to London (Eurostar). Are there ATMs in St. Pancras so we can get $$ for the Tube?

Posted by
9363 posts

Travelex's exchange rates may not be the best, but if you just need cash to get something to eat at LHR, it won't make that big a difference. (You could also just use your regular credit card to get food - chips are not required) You won't want to get a lot of money out anyway, if you are traveling on to Paris, since the UK uses pounds and France uses the euro. Just make a withdrawal like you do at home - but make sure that your bank knows you are traveling so they don't block your card.

Posted by
290 posts

Make sure you call your bank before you go and let them know you will be doing ATM withdrawals in these places, so that they do not block your card. I have two checking accounts with two different banks; one never blocks my foreign withdrawals, and one consistently does unless I call them to let them know I will be someplace new. In London Heathrow there are ATMs that will give you money in Pounds and in Euros. Even if they are Travelex ATMs you have the option to refuse their "special" exchange rate and just withdraw the money in the local currency. In other words, they will offer to do your withdrawal in a pre-agreed amount in US Dollars, which is based on an exchange rate that enhances their profits. If you refuse this "opportunity" and just conduct the transaction in the currency you originally ed (e.g. Euros) in spite of the scary warnings they give you, then you will get the exchange rate provided by Visa or Mastercard International, which is always good. If London is just a stopover for you then you might simply withdraw Euros from the ATM there, for spending in Belgium and France, and if you should need to make any purchases (e.g. food), just pay with your card. If you get a Capital One Visa there is no foreign transaction fee (same with their checkcard connected to their checking account). No point in withdrawing pounds if all you are getting is a single meal there and you could just pay for it with plastic.

Posted by
290 posts

To follow up to Nancy's comment, I have used Travelex ATMs several times in the past few months, and have never found one where I had to agree to their exchange rate. The way it has worked (for me, at least), is like this: -After entering PIN, enter amount, let's say €200 -Now appears a screen offering to withdraw $260 from my US checking account, so that I can "lock in" to the "great" rate and not be a victim of rate fluctuations (I exaggerate the language a bit but this is basically what they are trying to convince you of, in order to enhance their profits) -There will be an option to accept this "great" offer or to refuse it and continue the withdrawal in Euros -If you the refuse option, the transaction will continue as normal. And, without fail, the amount that will appear on your bank statement (in this case, something closer to $250) will always be a bit lower than the amount they tried to get you to lock in to Again, I have yet to see an ATM where you had no choice but to accept their proprietary exchange rate, and I am pretty sure there are laws against this. So, feel free to use the Travelex ATM, but just understand in advance how their scheme works. Good luck!

Posted by
2788 posts

If I was flying into LHR with a layover of a few hours and wanted some local currency for something to eat or whatever, I would not be concerned with whatever exchange rate I encountered as I would not be getting very much local currency anyway. You do not say how long you will be on the continent where you will need Euros. If you are staying there for any length of time there are plenty of ATMs at the Paris airport that you could use to get Euros. You also mention that you will be taking the Eurostar back to London.
For how long a stay? Again, if you are just going back to the airport to fly home, you would not need very many Pounds to use at the airport. However, if you are staying in London, or elsewhere in England, I would get enough local currency when I passed thru the first time to tied me over until I could get to an ATM outside the airport. Another plan is to get some Pounds here in the US before you leave home if you only need a few to use at the airport both going and coming.

Posted by
5570 posts

When you arrive in London, you will be staying in the secure area for flight connections (no immigration or customs). You probably won't need any British pounds in Heathrow ... most places will let you pay with a credit card. There are ATMs at both CDG and in St Pancras.

Posted by
217 posts

we used our credit cards and ATM cards in London, Paris,
Florence, Venice, All over Tuscany, and Switzerland and only once had a problem when trying to buy metro tickets in the machines in Paris... that was the only time. I think most places its not an issue

Posted by
32222 posts

Jennifer, A few points to mention regarding ATM cards..... Usually your travel funds will have to be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN. You may want to review your daily withdrawal limit before the trip. I would highly recommend packing along a "backup" ATM card on a separate account, in case there are any problems with your primary card (I've had that happen). Be sure to notify ALL of your financial institutions and credit card firms that you'll be travelling. Happy travels!

Posted by
180 posts

Thanks for the tips everyone! I have a Capital One Visa and a Capital One Money Market ATM card.. I also plan on taking another back-up card just in case. Last trip to Europe, we used ATMs everywhere (with the same accounts) so I'm not worried about using them, just making sure that they're feasible to rely on. I'm in LHR from 8-2 basically so I can probably just use the card for that meal. We get to Paris and we're there for 5 days before moving on to Belgium for 3 days so I guess it makes sense to wait until we get to CDG to get Euros. I don't want to carry a lot of cash around at once. After Belgium, we head back to London for 3 days so I'll definitely need cash there. My biggest concern is the Paris Metro since we have to hop from CDG onto the Metro to get to our hotel. We'll also need cash for the Tube to get to our hotel when we reach London.

Posted by
8716 posts

Since you are thinking ahead for your return to London why not get 40 pounds ( most likely in two 20 pound notes) when you arrive. Use a small amount of it for some food, stash the rest away in your money belt, travel, and when you arrive in St. Pancras all you have to do is purchase your Oyster cards and off you go. Just a thought.

Posted by
872 posts

I say forget about withdrawing cash from a machine while at LHR and just use your regular credit card for purchases. For the short amount of connecting time you are describing, it will most likely work best for you. Get a no-fee card (like Capital One) and just use that. Just want to clarify that I am not suggesting you use your credit card to get cash (i.e., cash advances), but rather use it like you would normally use it. Or as someone else suggested, if you do decide to get cash at LHR, get enough for the connection and also the return to St. Pancras so that you don't have to worry about cash upon return to England. You could also buy your Oyster card with a credit card and wait for the cash withdrawal once in London.
You will be able to use an ATM at CDG. Have fun!

Posted by
224 posts

I just came back from a trip to Vienna and Rome. I had to connect via Dallas TX and London's Heathrow. I had no currency with me whatsoever. No pounds, no euros, no dollars. At Dallas, I used the credit card at the McDonald's (sorry but their mocha frappes aren't that bad) while waiting for the connecting flight. At Heathrow, I went to the Pret a Manger for a delicious gourmet sandwich and paid with credit card. At the final destination in Vienna, I used the bancomat outside baggage claims to get 250 euro, paid cash for the bus ticket and got to the hotel without delay. Other than making me hungry, the bottom line of my story is...don't sweat not having cash on you.

Posted by
284 posts

To echo others, you will be able to use your ATM there. :)