Please sign in to post.

Osprey 18" 'Ozone' Ultra-light Carryon

Does anyone have experience with the Osprey 'Ozone' 18" carry-on rollerbag? It's supposedly the ultra-lightest rollerbag on the market at only 4 lbs., dimensions 18 h X 14 w X 8. Made of industrial-strength rip-stop nylon, excellent wheels, great zipper compartments, and comes with a lifetime repair warranty: To celebrate its 35th anniversary in 2009, Osprey launched the All Mighty Guarantee, an enhancement of a lifetime warranty that was already one of the most robust in the industry. Free of charge, the company will repair any damage or defect in its product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. Every Osprey product reflects the company's commitment to protect the wild places its customers love to explore. It's expensive at $199 - search revealed this price is consistent across various outlets, including Zappos, and it sells for the same price at a bricks-and-mortar travel shop in my area. But seeing it in person, it looks really good. Because of its size and weight, it would probably never need to be checked - unless loaded with rocks or wine bottles! :) (Meaning reduced risk of damage by being poorly handled at airports.) Seems it would also easily fit in an overhead rack on trains. Disclaimer: This is not a pitch; I'm seriously asking for experiential comments because I'm thinking of buying one. I'm also not asking for other luggage recommendations; interested at the moment only in comments about this particular bag/line of bags.

Posted by
16321 posts

My husband has the 22" version of the Osprey Ozone and loves it. Every time he geets it out to pack, he gloats over how lightweight it is. (With particular reference to my own 22" Mountainsmith, which is VERY heavy). He has taken it to Spain and on numerous domestic trips, and it still looks brand new. He carries it on everywhere; but last time we flew Alaska we gate-checked our bags and it came through unscathed. He bought it at REI with his dividend and member's 20% off, so it wasn't at all expensive. Just this morning he mentioned again how much he likes it (yes, he was packing for another trip). I would say look no further.

Posted by
1840 posts

If you have to ahve a wheelie that's pretty light, and the the way Osprey made it light is by making it short. Its four inches shorter than the legal carry-on limit. As I mentioned the other day, I'm not a roller fan. The best bag I've seen recently is the Eagle Creek Adventure Weekend. It weighs less than three pounds as does the bag I use. The difference between four pounds and two pounds ten ounces is a pair of pants and a shirt.

Posted by
4132 posts

If it didn't have wheels, it would be light enough not to need wheels. And would be smaller. I am skeptical of the claims made for the size of this bag. 18 h X 14 w X 8 = 2,016 ci, but its capacity is rated as 2197 ci. So it is bigger on the inside than on the outside, even without taking into account the aluminum frame and the space for the wheels and other mechanism (probably 500–600 ci). My guess is the packed dimensions of this bag are larger than advertised and might exceed the carry-on sizes of some airlines.

Posted by
922 posts

I saw the bag in person and actually handled it, opened all the zippers both inside and outside and thought about how each compartment could be used. The design is ingenious. One would certainly have to weigh it when packed to be sure of not going over the weight limit for any particular airline (i.e. the budget European airlines), but the size claims (dimensions) are accurate. It doesn't expand outward much so that it would risk over-extending the stated dimensions. On the other hand, it can be cinched down tighter when needed, say for a long-weekend trip when not much stuff is needed. One ultra-lightweight bag, multiple uses. Obviously it's for a person who travels very light. Personally, based on previous experience with other bags, I think I could make it work for a 2-week European trip in any season except winter when bulkier clothing (sweaters) might be desired because I enjoy wearing them.

Posted by
7036 posts

Right now Amazon.com has it for $152.17 (free shipping). Just an FYI if you really want it.

Posted by
16321 posts

As I stated above, my husband has the 22" version and it easily fits in the overhead bin of an Alaska Airlines 737 in the correct position (wheels out), as well as whatever plane it is that British Airways flies between LHR and the continent. So I don't see how the smaller 18" one is at risk of exceeding any size limits. Maybe by weight on the "budget" airlines in Europe, but it appears Rose is fully cognizant of the issues there and will be careful. I realize some people don't like wheeled bags but they should acknowledge that some of us do, and your comments aren't going to change our minds. After 18+ trips to Europe, Australia and Japan, I pretty well know what I like. Sounds like rose does too.

Posted by
10228 posts

I'm with you Lola. I don't understand why when someone asks about a bag with wheels anyone has to interject that THEY don't like wheels. Good for them, but the question was about a wheeled bag. The OP did not ask for opinions regarding wheels vs. no wheels.

Posted by
922 posts

Thanks, everyone! I could swear I checked Amazon earlier today and the price was $199. Nancy, you just saved me a lot of money! I ordered the gray one (because I don't like to stand out). The green one would be easier to spot on a luggage carousel, but I don't expect to be checking this bag, so not important. I'd rather have a more neutral color that blends with my black winter coat, my black raincoat, and won't clash with any bright summer colors I might choose to wear. First use will be a trip to the Dominican Republic coming up soonish. Cheers! Can't wait to pack my new bag - as soon as it arrives. LOL!

Posted by
1152 posts

I have found another wheeled bag that is almost as lightweight as the one described here. The bag is the American Tourister Astronolite. It weighs 4.6 lbs. and is 19.0" x 13.0" x 7.0". I only mention it here in case someone is looking for a similar, but cheaper, alternative. I bought it at Target, but I don't remember the price. Amazon lists it for less than $120. I haven't tried it out yet but my daughter is taking it on a trip to France in a few weeks.

Posted by
137 posts

I took this bag to my 13 day trip to Italy 3 weeks ago. I liked it, especially the way it rolls and the handle is very easy to navigate, it doesn't tip over, rolls almost like a 4-wheeler. Zippers were great, and I packed all my staff there, only took a small satchel bag with me in addition. It fitted overhead with no problems. Sometimes 21 inch bags don't on certain aicrafts. Loved the bag! I also ordered gray color from REI, for 199.

Posted by
10201 posts

Rose, In addition to the 25% off via some of the Amazon vendors, Amazon is also offering another $50 off at time of purchase if you get their Chase card, which you can cancel later. Back Country has free two-day shipping thrown in, too.

Posted by
922 posts

Thanks for the tip about the CHASE CC. As mentioned above, order already placed. I've also been advised that opening and closing CC accounts can affect one's FICO score, so I don't do it.