Please sign in to post.

Converter/adapter

I will be traveling to London in August. I am confused as to what kind of converter/adapter I will need. I will only need to charge my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4), Kindle Fire, and camera (Canon PowerShot). My daughter will be taking an iphone and macbook. Do we need adapter only? Do we need converters? Thank you so much for any help!
Virginia Page Jeter

Posted by
377 posts

Virginia, Most modern electronics work on both voltage systems and need only an adapter for the plug. You have to look on the devices themselves, but if you see something like "Input 100 – 240V, 50 – 60 Hz." in teeny tiny print, then no converter is needed. You will probably want at least 2 plug adapters so you can charge more than one item at a time. We took an iPod, and Canon and Sony cameras on our last trip and none of them needed converters.

Posted by
9363 posts

I carry two phones and a netbook. All I do is plug in the netbook, then plug the phones into that. You could save some outlet space by doing that, since your daughter is bringing a laptop. I made sure to buy a camera that uses ordinary batteries, so I don't need to charge it.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you so much for these answers! They are so helpful!!

Posted by
32206 posts

Virginia, As the others have mentioned, it's highly likely that all the products you'll be travelling with are designed for multi-voltage operation (especially the Apple products). However, it's still a good idea to check the Chargers or power cubes for EACH device to verify that. Look for the words "Input Voltage". If it says Input 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz then all you'll need is inexpensive Plug Adaptors, specific to the countries you'll be visiting (the U.K. model is different than the continental Europe model). I'd suggest taking at least two of each type, as they're easy to misplace. Of equal concern is the fact that you'll be travelling with two Smartphones. The iPhone may or may not even work in Europe, depending on which network you're with in the U.S. and which model iPhone it is. If the Galaxy S4 is with Sprint, you'll have to check with them regarding use in Europe. If your phones will indeed work in GSM service areas, you'll need to be VERY CAREFUL to avoid data roaming charges, as they can be HUGE (ie: as in five figures). Happy travels!

Posted by
48 posts

Also-I was surprised that you can only use men's electric shavers in the bathroom-no hairdryers or hair irons. Every hotel.

Posted by
32206 posts

@Sherrell, "I was surprised that you can only use men's electric shavers in the bathroom-no hairdryers or hair irons." Actually, that's not surprising at all. Shaver outlets are typically current-limited, so there's NO WAY they can supply enough power for high wattage appliances like hair dryers or hair irons.

Posted by
32747 posts

@Sherrell You could also use ladies electric shavers. It isn't legally restricted to men only. The British health and safety boffins are very sensitive to mixing water and electricity. They don't like things plugged in in bathrooms. They have to protect people and be seen to protect people. Kinda like the TSA.