COVID Wellness Refund Policy
(For tours departing Jan. 1–Dec. 31, 2022)
Consistent with Rick Steves' Europe's (RSE) commitment to Tour Member (TM) safety while on tour, we have developed a policy to encourage and appreciate TMs who put the health and wellness of their fellow TMs ahead of their own by proactively opting out of activities when they may be ill with COVID-19. COVID Wellness Refunds will be paid on a pro rata basis for the number of days missed for self-isolation, testing, medical visit, or having to leave the tour because of a positive COVID-19 test. For example, if a 10-day tour costs $2,500, and a TM must miss two days of the tour due to symptoms and testing, they are eligible to receive a $500 COVID Wellness Refund (2 days missed x $250 per day).
A TM may be eligible to receive a COVID Wellness Refund in any of the following circumstances:
- the TM tests positive for COVID-19 within 48 hours of joining the tour,
- the TM experiences COVID-19–like symptoms and self-isolates from the tour group until they can be tested for COVID-19, and/or
- the TM leaves the tour because of a positive test for COVID-19.
To receive the refund, TMs must do the following three things:
- miss at least eight (8) daylight hours of the tour,
- inform their guide that they are experiencing symptoms and isolating before missing any days of the tour, and
- receive a COVID-19 test and provide the results to RSE, either through the guide or the main office. Self-administered COVID-19 tests will not be accepted unless administered in front of a medical professional or the RSE guide.
The TM must provide the guide proof of a negative COVID-19 test to rejoin the tour.* If the tour moves to a new destination while the TM is isolating/testing, the TM will be financially responsible for getting themselves to the next tour destination. RSE and Travel Guard Assistance service will do their best to be available to assist TMs with logistics.
*To rejoin the tour after testing positive, the TM must provide a negative PCR test result taken within 24 hours of the initial test.