Program 312: Derry Celebrates; Trendy East London; Coastal Croatia
Release Date: 01-12-2013
North Ireland's city of Derry is gearing up to be this year's "U-K City of Culture." We'll find out how concerts and the arts are uniting the Irish. Hear how London's working class East End is becoming a trendy scene for colorful shops and a good curry dinner. In addition, hear how an American family explored the beaches of Croatia as if it was their second home.
- Stephen McPhilemy, tour guide based in Derry, Northern Ireland
- Will Hide, travel writer based in London
- Jennifer Wilson, author of "Running Away to Home" (St. Martin's Press)
- Will Hide writes a blog about his travels on his website, www.beentheredone.it.
- Will has written about Cape Town, South Africa for the Guardian in the UK, highlighting the area's adventure sports, such as abseiling and sand boarding.
- Will recommends purchasing an Oyster Card transit discount pass at the Transport for London website.
- Hotels with low cost rooms or frequent deals which Will recommends are the Tune Hotels and the Hoxton Hotel in the Shoreditch area.
- Two websites Will Hide recommends for finding interesting pubs are fancyapint.com and beerintheevening.com.
- Jennifer Wilson says her family enjoyed exploring Pula on the southern tip of the Istrian peninsula, and the beaches around Opatija, and they rented an apartment for a few months in the town of Rovinj. She also recommends visiting beaches on the island of Krk.