Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 433: Food Regions of Spain; Carnival in Venice & Rhineland; Alt for Norge
Release Date: 02-06-2016
Learn about the Norwegian TV show that's helped many Americans discover their old-country ancestry, then get to know the centuries of traditions behind Carnival celebrations in Venice and Cologne, the scene of some of Europe's biggest wintertime parties. Plus, hear about the local delicacies you'll find on the various tapa menus across Spain.
- Javier Menor de las Casas, tour guide based in Madrid
- Nygil Murrell, tour guide based in Madrid
- Stacy Gibboni, tour guide based in Venice
- Fabian Rueger, German historian and tour guide
- Thor Oreld, producer of the Alt for Norge TV show in Norway
- Beth Butala, contestant on Alt for Norge from Minneapolis
- Nygil Murrell provides custom tours for Madrid Tours and Tastings.
- The official Venice Carnivale website includes some event details in English.
- Stacy Gibboni's artwork in Venice is featured on the Insightful Travel and Tours website.
- Stacy Gibboni's husband operates the Bentigodi di Chef Domenico restaurant in Venice.
- A collection of Venetian Senator Giorgio Baffo's 17th century erotic poetry sold for a princely sum recently. His Wikipedia entry, however, is remarkably terse.
- The "Alt For Norge" website is in Norwegian, but much of the show is in English. It is produced by TV Norge, part of the Discovery Networks Norway.
- Beth Butala made an audition video to be a contestant of "Alt For Norge."
- You can now look up ship records of ancestors who arrived in America at Ellis Island in the 19th to mid-20th centuries.