Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 558: See You in the Piazza; Populism in My Country
Release Date: 03-23-2019
Best-selling author Frances Mayes tells us about her favorite uncrowded corners of Italy, away from the crush of Italy's top tourist destinations. And we'll get a personal take on the current political scene in Hungary, Poland, and Turkey, where conservative populism has changed and challenged these countries' democratic structures.
- Frances Mayes, author of "See You in the Piazza" (Crown)
- Monika Posch, tour guide from Hungary
- Beata McCommas, tour guide from Poland
- Yaren Türkoğlu, tour guide from Turkey
- The latest book by Frances Mayes is "See You in the Piazza." She started writing about Italy when she penned her story of buying an abandoned villa in Tuscany in "Under the Tuscan Sun."
- The albergo diffuso concept for hotel rooms in historic town centers in Italy started in the 1980s.
- Reuters news service discusses the "illiberalism" growing in Europe. Carnegie Europe argues that the trend in Hungary and Poland is toward authoritarianism.
- Vox investigates the changes to Hungary since Orban came to power.