Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 317a: The Inca Trail; Ottoman Turkey; Medieval Castles in Wales
Release Date: 11-28-2015
Hear how you can get close to the ancients by hiking Peru's Inca Trail, and get tips for enjoying Cuzco and Machu Picchu. Then we'll zoom in on two more areas with striking monuments from the past: Turkey, with its legacy of the Ottoman Empire, and Wales, with its string of massive medieval castles.
- Carolina Miranda, former lead author of the Lonely Planet Peru guidebook
- Lale Surmen Aran, proprietor of SRM Travel in Istanbul, and co-author of the Rick Steves Istanbul guidebook
- Martin deLewandowicz, tour guide and medieval castle expert from Wales
- Carolina Miranda was the lead author on Peru for Lonely Planet at the time of her interview. She now writes about local culture for the Los Angeles Times.
- Wikipedia has information, links and photos to Istanbul's Military Museum and Dolmabahçe Palace, the Sultan Ahmed "Blue" Mosque, and Topkapi Palace.
- Lale Surmen Aran runs SRM Travel in Istanbul, which specializes in guided tours in Turkey. She recommends visiting the cities of Istanbul, Bursa, and Edirne to see the major sights from the Ottoman Empire.
- Information about Harlech, Caernarfon, Conwy and Chepstow castles in Wales.
- Martin recommends using the CADW website for understanding the importance of Welsh historic sites.
Streets of Derry, stones
remember ancient dreams
and recent Troubles
— Kerry Dexter, Tallahassee, Florida
All around the world
Little children are the same:
Boys tease. Girls giggle.
— J. Bruce Payette, Islamorada, Florida
Brand new, but feel I'm at home.
I saw Rick today.
— Erin Sutter, Edmonds, Washington
More with Carolina Miranda - Rick and Carolina Miranda discuss hiking the 26-mile mountainous Inca Trail, to absorb more about the Inca Empire, and the need to acclimate to the 14,000 foot altitude when you first arrive in Cuzco. (runs 2:24)