Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 577: Magellan 500; Mexico City Neighborhoods; Ask Rick
Release Date: 09-14-2019
Find out why Portugal isn't jumping on the Magellan 500th-anniversary bandwagon like their neighbors in Spain are. Then, guidebook author Julie Meade tells Rick which neighborhoods of Mexico City are the most fun to visit.
- Cristina Duarte, tour guide based in Lisbon
- Robert Wright, tour guide based in Seville
- Julie Meade, author of the Moon Mexico City and Moon San Miguel de Allende guidebooks
- Germany's DW discusses the Magellan 500th anniversary.
- The Magellan Project is retracing the historic route of Magellan's crews, and participating in historic commemoration events, starting with the departure point in Spain on September 20, 2019.
- Cristina Duarte's website includes information about visiting Lisbon, and her tour services.
- Robert Wright's website includes city guides to Lisbon and Buenos Aires.
- Julie Meade authors the Moon Mexico City and Moon San Miguel de Allende guidebooks. She also writes about Mexico and California for New York magazine.
- Rick wrote about his canoe sightseeing trip in the polders outside of Amsterdam with Wetlands Safari in his 2014 blog.
More with Cristina Duarte & Robert Wright - Which Portuguese sailor really was the first person to sail around the world, and prove the earth is round? Tour guides Cristina Duarte and Robert Wright explain to Rick how Ferdinand Magellan really was the first sailor to circumnavigate the earth, even though he was killed halfway through the voyage we commemorate from 500 years ago. (runs 1:43)