Special Message from Rick
Listen in as Rick shares a few thoughts about travel during this time of concern over the Covid-19 coronavirus.
Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 618: Medellin; Traveling with Gloria Steinem and David McCullough
Release Date: 10-24-2020
Rick compares notes with travel writer Dave Seminara on Medellín, Colombia, as the "City of Eternal Spring" tries to shake off its former reputation for cartel violence and promote itself as a safe and family-friendly destination. Plus, we relive two of our favorite interviews, hearing how important travel has been to the work of writer and activist Gloria Steinem and historian David McCullough.
- Travel writer Dave Seminara, author of "Breakfast with Polygamists" (Jean-Albert Dadas Press)
- Gloria Steinem, author of "My Life on the Road" (Penguin Random House)
- Historian David McCullough, author of "The Pioneers" (Simon and Schuster)
- Dave Seminara writes about the new "narco-tourism" industry in Medellin. He's also collected stories of his own recent adventures in the book "Breakfast with Polygamists."
- Gloria Steinem's autobiography is called "My Life on the Road." Her most recent book is "The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off."
- Gloria's memoir has been adapted into a motion picture called "The Glorias."
- David McCullough's most recent title, "The Pioneers," explores the people who first settled in the Old Northwest Territory.
- David cites the late Yale art historian Vincent Scully as one of his most memorable teachers. He also says viewing Botticelli's Birth of Venus at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence was one of the highlights of his travels.
On my black jacket
eighteen hundred miles from home
one orange cat-hair.
— Bill Nolan, Seattle
The river flows on
Kids laughing, sun shining, ‘til
Oops, the canoe flips!
— Steve and Lou Anne Flowers, Owasso, Oklahoma
Ten days on a ship
With my partner of two years
We made it to three.
— Kathy Crider, Miami
More with Dave Seminara - Dave Seminara explores the idea of "narco-tourism" in Medellin, Colombia, and how its citizens and local government pushes back against the Escobar legacy. (runs 1:36)
More with Gloria Steinem - Rick and Gloria Steinem share tips from the road, including the wisdom of the world's taxi drivers, and how to make yourself feel at home in your hotel room. (runs 3:08)