Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 642: Turkish Market; Tour Industry; Inclusivity
Release Date: 06-19-2021
After learning why a midday stop at the public market is always a good idea in Turkey, get an insider's look at how the tour industry is rebuilding itself as Rick and the head of Perillo Tours compare notes on what the road to normalcy looks like for their companies. And New York Times travel writer Tariro Mzezewa examines what "inclusivity" really means for African-American travelers.
- Turkey tour guide Lale Surmen Aran, proprietor of SRM Travel in Istanbul
- Steve Perillo, CEO of Perillo Tours, Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
- New York Times travel reporter Tariro Mzezewa
- Lale Surmen Aran is proprietor of SRM Travel in Istanbul, and the co-author of the Rick Steves Istanbul guidebook.
- The Mevlana Museum is one of the major attractions in Konya, Turkey.
- Rick includes photos of Konya on a blog entry he posted in 2013.
- Steve Perillo is CEO of Perillo Tours, which specializes in tours to Italy. His well-known TV commercials in the New York metropolitan area were spoofed by Adam Sandler on Saturday Night Live.
- Steve Perillo and Tariro Mzezewa also joined Rick in March 2021 to discuss additional travel industry trends on Travel with Rick Steves program #631.
- Tariro Mzezewa reports on the travel industry for the New York Times.
- Rick's interview with playwright Calvin Alexander Ramsey on Travel with Rick Steves program #417A in January, 2019, discussed the historical role of the "Green Book" for Black travelers in the United States in the mid-20th century.
- The Black Travel Alliance covers domestic and international leisure travel issues for African-Americans.
- The Smithsonian Institution opened the National Museum of African-American History and Culture in Washington in 2016.