Special Message from Rick
Listen in as Rick shares a few thoughts about travel during this time of concern over the Covid-19 coronavirus.
Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 521a: Berner Oberland; T.T. Williams' Utah; The Philippines
Release Date: 03-28-2020
Author Terry Tempest Williams explains why she purchased oil leases near her home in the Utah desert to protest removing protections in a national monument. Travel writer Kiki Deere tells us why the Philippines is one of her favorite countries to visit. And a tour guide who mapped hiking trails in Switzerland's Lauterbrunnen Valley talks about the area's Alpine thrills.
- Tour guide Don Chmura
- Terry Tempest Williams, author of "Erosion: Essays of Undoing" and "The Hour of Land" (Sarah Crichton Books)
- Kiki Deere, author of "Journey Through the Philippines" (Tuttle Publishing)
- Don Chmura has written a detailed online guide to the hiking trails of the Bernese highlands of Switzerland.
- The latest book by Terry Tempest Williams is called "Erosion: Essays of Undoing."
- In an editorial in the New York Times, Terry explains how she and her husband bought oil lease rights near their home in Utah.
- Outside magazine explores how Interior Department policy changes benefit a private energy-industry firm in Texas, by closing off federal auctions to develop public lands from the public.
- Timponogos Cave National Monument in Utah is run by the National Park Service.
- Kiki Deere is the author of the illustrated guide, "Journey Through the Philippines."
- Kiki shares her photos on the Rough Guides Philippines website.