Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 434: New Northwest Passage; Dispatches from Pluto, Mississippi; More Serendipity
Release Date: 02-13-2016
Novelist Kathleen Winter describes how her Northwest Passage voyage through the Canadian Arctic taught her to view the world in a new light. Then journalist Richard Grant tells of what happened to his world view (and dinner menus) when he left the bustle of Manhattan to buy an old farmhouse in the Mississippi Delta. And listeners share memorable tales of the people they've met on overseas travels.
- Kathleen Winter, author of "Boundless: Tracing Land and Dream in a New Northwest Passage" (Counterpoint)
- Richard Grant, author of "Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta" (Simon & Schuster)
- Kathleen Winter's website. She also posts musings at the Livejournal blog.
- Counterpoint Press posts an interview with Kathleen Winter conducted by National Geographic about her travel memoir "Boundless."
- Richard Grant's website includes a link to his latest book "Dispatches from Pluto," as well as his earlier books and documentaries.
- The New York Times reviews Richard Grant's book "Dispatches from Pluto."
- Bluesman Jimmy "Duck" Holmes operates the Blues Front Café in Bentonia, Mississippi.
- Martha Foose writes about Southern cooking specialties from her home base in Pluto for Garden and Gun magazine.
- Lisdoonvarna, a village in Ireland's County Clare, is famous for its Matchmaking Festival in September.