Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 626: Unraveling America; Spanish Civil War Sites; Photogenic Scotland
Release Date: 01-23-2021
A Canadian observer of America's malaise offers what he calls an "intervention" to his friends in the USA. Plus, we'll explore Spain's civil war with a pair of Spanish tour guides whose families still feel the after-effects of the Franco era decades later. And we make time to find beauty in the Gothic stained-glass marvel of Saint-Chappelle in Paris and the photogenic landscapes of Scotland.
- University of British Columbia anthropologist Wade Davis
- Federico García Barroso, tour guide from Madrid
- Francisco Glária, tour guide from Pamplona, Spain
- Art history expert Gene Openshaw, co-author of Rick Steves Europe's Top 100 Masterpieces (Avalon Travel)
- tour guide/nature photographer James Macletchie, from Uist, Scotland
- Wade Davis wrote a commentary piece on "The Unraveling of America" for the August 2020 edition of Rolling Stone.
- Tour guide Francisco Glária specializes in the Navarra region of northeast Spain from his home base in Pamplona.
- Tour guide Federico Garcia Barroso is based in Madrid.
- NPR reported on the removal of Gen. Franco's body from the Valley of the Fallen monument at El Escorial, in October 2019.
- Rick filmed a video of the stained glass interior of Sainte-Chapelle in Paris.
- Rick and co-author Gene Openshaw recently released Rick Steves Europe's Top 100 Masterpieces: Art for the Traveler.
- James Macletchie posts photographs of the Scottish Hebrides on his jmacletchiephotography.com website.
- Fairy pools are a scenic feature on Scotland's Isle of Skye.