Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 503a: The Nez Perce War; American Nomads
Release Date: 11-16-2019
How much are we a product of our nation's history? Learn about the struggles between Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce and US General Oliver Otis Howard in the years following the Civil War. We'll also hear about the growing number of older, "houseless" Americans living full time in RVs and camper vans: For some, it's the ultimate freedom; for others, it's all they have left.
- Daniel Sharfstein, author of "Thunder in the Mountains" (Norton)
- Jessica Bruder, author of "Nomadland" (Norton)
- Daniel J. Sharfstein is the author of "Thunder in the Mountains." He includes photos of Chief Joseph and General Howard on his website.
- The Big Hole National Battlefield site near Dillon, Montana is operated by the National Park Service.
- Jessica Bruder is the author of "Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century." Jessica reports that her book is being made into a major motion picture, due for release in 2020.
- Jessica notes that the workampernews.com website and the Workers on Wheels Facebook site are good resources for finding and listing temporary jobs for people who are fulltime campers.
- The next Rubber Tramp Rendezvous is being planned for January 2020. Location and dates will be announced online by the Homes On Wheels Alliance.
In Plovdiv's Rose Valley
pick the petals before the
sun dries their love-oil.
— Leah Watson, Rochester, New York
First blush of sunrise
Sweeps across quiet water
Then bursts into flame
— Celeste Sanford, Kentville, Nova Scotia
ascends over Sognefjord
slumbering trolls snore
— Bruce Huang, Rockville, Maryland
More with Jessica Bruder - Jessica Bruder describes the 19-foot 1995 G-M-C Vandora, which she calls “Van Halen,” in which she lived for the two years she traveled the country as a "working nomad." She also expands on the "vamily style" camaraderie that campers can find at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. (runs 4:24)