Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 425: Jamón; Scandinavian Cuisine; A Tavola in Italy; Life From Scratch
Release Date: 11-21-2015
The kinds of ham you find in Spain are the best in the world. Just ask any Spaniard. Hear what makes jamón so special. Learn about the traditional comfort foods of Scandinavia, and the after-dinner customs that keep you lingering at the table when you dine out in Italy. And hear why a mom in Tulsa started a four-year project, to cook foods from every country in the world for her family.
- Federico Garcia Barroso, tour guide from Madrid, Spain
- Francisco Glaria, tour guide from Pamplona, Spain
- Pal Johansen, tour guide from Oslo, Norway
- Asa Danielsson, tour guide from Stockholm, Sweden
- Jane Klausen, Danish-born tour guide to Scandinavia
- Stacy Gibboni, tour guide to Italy
- Caterina Moore, Venice-based tour guide to Italy
- Sasha Martin, author of "Life From Scratch (National Geographic)
- Wikipedia discusses why jamón ibérico is probably the most expensive ham in the world.
- Tour guide Federico Garcia Barroso is based in Madrid, and tour guide Francisco Glaria specializes in the Navarra region of Spain from his home base in Pamplona.
- The Huffington Post took photos of the much-lauded locavore dishes offered at Noma in Copenhagen.
- The Stockholm Visitors Board offers an on-line guide to restaurants in Stockholm.
- A guide to the different varieties of aquavit liquor in Scandinavia.
- Contact information for Asa Danielsson in Stockholm is on the Viator tour guide website.
- Stacy Gibboni's husband operates the Bentigodi di Chef Domenico restaurant in Venice. It gets many rave reviews from diners on Trip Advisor.
- Stacy Gibboni's artwork in Venice is featured on the Insightful Travel and Tours website.
- Sasha Martin's Global Table Adventure website includes recipes she's served her family, and recommendations for cooking the flavors of the world in your own kitchen.
- Sasha Martin's book about her life and her stovetop travels is called "Life from Scratch."
In Gifford Pinchot
Rain. Listen, talk, laugh, love, read, sleep,
Rain. Go east, for sun.
— Stephanie Varnadore, Renton, Washington
Swish of bullet train
All aboard, Japan flies by
— Kim Daul, Chicago
Took Mom to Norway
Best to travel while she can
Me, never wiser.
— Claudia Mulcahy, Carlsbad, California