Program 313: Pleasure of Italian Cuisine; Little Pleasures in Slovenia; African-American History Sites
Release Date: 01-26-2013
Take a closer look at the pleasure of eating like an Italian with Fred Plotkin. Two guides from Slovenia highlight the good things they enjoy in their small country. Also, we'll see how dozens of sites connected to African-American history can teach us about the freedoms that 21st century Americans might take for granted.
- Fred Plotkin, author of "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" (Kyle Books)
- Slovenia tour guides Sašo Golub & Tina Hiti
- Lydia Sermons, executive director of the African-American Experience Fund
- The New York Times posted a readers' Q and A with Fred Plotkin about eating and traveling in Italy.
- WQXR radio has a profile of Fred, with a quick link to his Operavore blog postings.
- One of the many glowing reviews of Fred Plotkin's book "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" is in the Italy travel section of About.com.
- Fred Plotkin's "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" is published by Kyle Books in Britain, and is scheduled to soon have an e-book version of the book available.
- Sašo Golub and Tina Hiti have a website which includes a link to contact them, and photos from theor tours of Slovenia.
- A Slovenian tourism website includes details about bee keeping in Slovenia, with a photo of historic painted beehive panels.
- The African-American Experience Fund helps to promote and maintain heritage sites operated by the National Park Service.
- Information about visiting the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial in Washington, DC.
- Wikipedia and the South Carolina Information Highway website each have information about the Mitchelville community near Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
- The Mayhew Cabin and Historic Village is a site from the days of the Underground Railroad in Nebraska City, Nebraska.