Program 186a: European Art Outside the Museum; The Monuments Men
Release Date: 11-24-2012
You don't have to go inside a museum to experience great art. We look at some of the ways Europeans love to embellish their every-day scene. Also, Robert Edsel shares stories of the people who helped rescue the masterpieces of Western art from the Nazis, during and after World War Two, and how their work continues today.
- Art historian Gene Openshaw, co-author of Rick Steves' "Europe 101" (Avalon Travel)
- Robert Edsel, author of ""The Monuments Men" (Center Street)
- Rick and Gene co-author the art history book "Europe 101."
- Caller Spencer in Austin has collected photos of the street art that most impressed him in Granada, Spain.
- There is a photo of the carpet of flowers that caller Nicole mentions in a Wikipedia entry about Brussel's Grand Place.
- Robert Edsel is director of the non-profit Monuments Men Foundation.
- Robert Edsel's website and blog for The Monuments Men.