Program 252a: Off the Grid in Mexico; Baltic Cities; Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari
Release Date: 08-25-2012
Paul Theroux describes what a trip the length of Africa taught him, 40 years after serving with the Peace Corps in a village in Malawi. Frugal Traveler Seth Kugel tells us what it was like to spend a week in a small Mexican town he picked at random, well-off the tourist grid. Also, Neil Taylor explains how much the Baltic countries have brightened up to visitors in 20 years, since they shook off Soviet Communism.
- Seth Kugel, Frugal Traveler columnist for the New York Times
- Guidebook author Neil Taylor
- Travel writer Paul Theroux
- Seth Kugel’s Frugal Traveler blog and website.
- There is a short video, and photos, of Seth’s visit to San Juan Teitipac archived with his article at the New York Times.
- A longer version of Seth Kugel’s New York Times article about his stay in San Juan Teitipac, in Oaxaca.
- Neil Taylor writes the Baltics Cities guidebook for the Bradt Guides series.
- Neil Taylor also writes the Bradt guide to Estonia.
- Paul Theroux’s website.
- Paul Theroux published “Dark Star Safari” in 2004.
- Theroux’s publisher lists his works online, with links.