Program 265a: Paris Art Scene; Irish Writers; Michelangelo's Florence
Release Date: 03-09-2013
Hear how language is a high form of art in Ireland, where the works of its poets and playwrights add color to even the nation's parks and pubs. We'll get tips for enjoying more of the speciality museums of Paris. Also, we'll explore how growing up in Renaissance-era Florence shaped Michelangelo into one of the greatest artists of all time.
- Tour guide Elisabeth Van Hest, based in Paris
- Tour guide Barry Moloney, based in Kinsale, Ireland
- Washington University (St. Louis) Art History Professor William E. Wallace, author of "Michelangelo: The Artist, The Man, and His Times" (Cambridge University Press)
- Gene Openshaw, co-author (with Rick Steves) of "Europe 101: Art History and Art for the Traveler" (Avalon Travel Books)
- Rick co-authored the "Europe 101" art history book with Gene Openshaw.
- Gene Openshaw's chart of Renaissance notables in "the Class of 1500."