Program 300: Andrew McCarthy On Location; Fred Plotkin At the Opera; Open Phones-Ask Rick
Release Date: 09-22-2012
Follow the lead of a seasoned traveler, and you'll discover new ways to make your next vacation terrific. Andrew McCarthy will share how actors on location find ways to connect with the locals, and Fred Plotkin illustrates how to plug into the excitement at some of his favorite opera venues in Europe. Also, Rick helps listeners planning trips to Barcelona and Paris.
- Actor/director and travel writer Andrew McCarthy, co-editor of "Lights, Camera, Travel" (Lonely Planet) and author of "The Longest Way Home" (Free Press)
- Fred Plotkin, author of "Opera 101: A Complete Guide to Learning and Loving Opera" (Hyperion)
- The consequences of Andrew McCarthy's wanderlust are profiled in an entertaining short video for his latest book, in which he takes "The Longest Way Home."
- Fred Plotkin's guide to opera is called "Opera 101: A Complete Guide to Learning and Loving Opera" (Hyperion).
- Fred Plotkin has voiced an audio version of his book, "Opera 101."
- Fred Plotkin's opera blog is hosted by classical station WQXR in New York.
- Fred recommends the Operissimo.com website to plan opera outings in your travels.
- Fred Plotkin reminds us that Monday, September 24th is the opening of the Metropolitan Opera season in New York, with Donizetti's "l'Elisir d'Amore." Anna Netrebko sings the role of Adina. "It is the comic story of a young man, Nemorino, who falls in love with Adina. She will have nothing to do with him until he drinks an elixir of love (which is simply Bordeaux wine) and everything changes." It will be broadcast live on many radio stations, and Fred adds that the opera is also typically simulcast live on the Met's website.
- Opera singer Angela Meade notes on her website that she made her debut at several major venues in Cleveland, Aspen, Berlin and Vienna in recent months.
- Wikipedia has detailed information about the 2012 film "The Way," in which Martin Sheen plays a character who walks the Camino de Santiago across Spain.
Highlighted by rising sun
Early morning jog
—Alissa Gerasimenko, in Matsuyama, Japan
We came to Japan
Brought summer sunshine with us
It’s all used up now
—Richard Elsley, Thousand Oaks, California
Rain in Tokyo
Umbrellas bobbing to pass
Faces there, then gone!
—Mike Kleer, Vashon Island, Washington
Went to Tokyo once
Lived off beer vending machines
Got lost on subway
—Matt Miller, Spokane, Washington