Program 306: Germany Faux-Pas; Ferenc Mate's Real Life; Becoming a Road Trip Pilgrim
Release Date: 11-10-2012
If texting a phone message is the biggest workout your hands get all day, Ferenc Mate shares the rewards of relying on one another, instead of our gadgets. Dan Austin describes his journey into becoming a "road trip pilgrim," and how a low-budget bike journey changed his view of the world. Plus, listeners share teachable moments they encountered while traveling in Germany.
- Ferenc Mate, author of "A Real Life" (W. W. Norton)
- Dan Austin, co-founder of the 88 Bikes Project, and author of "True Fans" and "The Road Trip Pilgrim's Guide"
- Ferenc Mate's website includes links to his books, and a blog with photographs from his latest travels.
- Mate Vineyards allows for web orders.
- Ferenc Mate has a biographical entry on Wikipedia
- Dan Austin authored "The Road Trip Pilgrim's Guide," and also produced a documentary and wrote a book about his original cross-country bike trip, called "True Fans."
- Project Asha is the campaign by 88 Bikes to provide bicycles to girls in Bihar, India.
- The CBS Evening News did a feature story on Dan Austin's 88 Bikes project.