Program 326: Exploring Poland; Classical Titans
Release Date: 05-18-2013
- Cameron Hewitt, tour guide and co-author of the "Rick Steves' Eastern Europe" guidebook (Avalon Travel)
- Eszter Bokros, tour guide to Eastern Europe, based in Budapest
- Fred Plotkin, author of "Opera 101: A Complete Guide to Learning and Loving Opera" (Hyperion)
- Czestochowa is an important religious city for Poles, where the Jasna Góra Monastery is located, which houses the "Black Madonna" icon.
- The city of Warsaw has an extensive website in English for visitors.
- Information about Krakow, Poznan, and Gdansk, Poland.
- Rick's TV show episode #310 covers Krakow, Auschwitz and Warsaw.
- Rick summarizes his favorite highlights about "charismatic Krakow."
- The website for the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp museum includes a search engine for information about prisoners at the camp.
- Fred Plotkin's definitive guide to Opera is called "Opera 101."
- Fred Plotkin has voiced an audio version of his book, "Opera 101."
- Fred Plotkin's opera blog postings are hosted by classical station WQXR in New York.
- Fred recommends the Operissimo.com website to plan opera outings in your travels.
- Villa Verdi is the home in the village of Sant'Agata where Giuseppe Verdi lived, and is near the village where he was born. Reservations on its website are needed for a guided tour of the site.
- The Metropolitan Opera in New York and the Seattle Opera are performing Wagner's Ring Cycle this year.
- The L.A. Opera has scheduled multiple performances for the Benjamin Britten centennial in 2013.
- On Nov. 22, 2013, Carnegie Hall hosts the St. Louis Symphony in a performance of Benjamin Britten's "Peter Grimes."
- The Aldeburgh Festival at Snape in East Anglia, UK was founded in 1948 by Benjamin Britten. They have scheduled many special performances of his music, and have a website dedicated to the Benjamin Britten 2013 centennial.
- Richard Strauss founded the Salzburg Festival.
Pgm 326 extras — Poland - Cameron Hewitt notes that the scruffy port town of Gdynia, Poland is becoming a popular stop for cruise ships on the Baltic Sea, due to its proximity to Gdansk. (runs 0:35)
Pgm 326 extras — Opera - Fred Plotkin tells us which of Wagner's operas he does not care for, and clarifies the difference between Richard Strauss and the Vienna waltz composers with the same surname. (runs 1:34)