Program 327a: Paris Street Markets, Beer in Belgium, Underground Slovenia
Release Date: 09-23-2017
Listen in to an exploration of the open-air markets of Paris, where souvenir shopping can be memorable in itself. Then hear why Belgian beer is so good that it's worth planning a trip around. And learn about the mysteries and history found in Slovenia's vast network of caves.
- Marjorie R. Williams, co-author of "Markets of Paris" (The Little Bookroom)
- Stu Stuart, tour guide to Belgium and Germany beer venues
- Barbara Jakopič, tour guide based in Slovenia
- Marjorie R. Williams is co-author with Dixon Long of the guidebook Markets of Paris.
- Stu Stuart has websites for his beer-themed tours in Belgium and for his beer and bicycle tours in Bamberg, Germany.
- The authors of the book Stu recommends, "Around Brussels in 80 Beers," have a page on Facebook.
- Postojna and Skocjan are the two most visited cave sites in Slovenia.
- Idrija is the site of a former major mercury mine that you can tour.
Wood cellar barrels
Hold newly fermented beer.
A cold Pilsner awaits.
— Matt Harmon, Charleston, West Virginia
Challenged by the artist's plea,
To perceive anew.
— Bill Loy, Montgomery Village, Maryland
Moon over Notre Dame
Jazz on bridge to Ile St Louis
A Paris party.
— Barbara Waxman, Seattle, Washington
one day not enough
i will go back again
one life not enough
— Jason Boyd, Greenville, North Carolina
More with Marjorie R. Williams - Rick and Marjorie R. Williams, author of the guidebook "Markets of Paris," describe the outdoor market and café scene along the rue Montorgueil. (runs 1:22)