Program 335: Family Croatia; Bumpy Balkans; Exploring Northern Italy
Release Date: 08-17-2013
Hear how two travelers immersed themselves in Croatia and its neighbors. Plus, guides from Italy share the highlights of northern Italy, from Milan to Lake Como, and they recommend less-crowded small towns and lakes, where German and Swiss influences add a distinctive texture from the rest of Italy.
- Jennifer Wilson, author of "Running Away to Home" (St. Martin's Press)
- Travel writer Francis Tapon, author of "The Hidden Europe: What Eastern Europeans Can Teach Us" (Wander Learn Series)
- Ann Long and Riccardo Panareo, tour guides based in Italy
- Francis Tapon's book about his three years exploring the eastern half of Europe is called "The Hidden Europe: What Eastern Europeans Can Teach Us"
- Francis Tapon is in the middle of an extended adventure to travel to each of Africa's 54 countries by 2016. Africa54.com is where he posts progress reports about his trip.
- Scroll down the home page on Francis Tapon's website to locate his 18-minute TED talk from October 2012, called "How and Why Travel Transforms You."
- Rick writes about a town he enjoys in Italy's Dolomites region, about the sites in Milan, including the dining scene in a popular district of the city, and a number of his favorite small town settings in northern Italy.
- Italian tour guide Riccardo Panareo writes about life and food in Italy on his "home baked" Piano-Piano website.
- Soave is a village in a wine-producing region of northern Italy that Riccardo recommends visiting.
Load up the car with children.
Fill tank, keep driving.
— Starla Little, Beaufort, South Carolina.
Antsy three year old daughter
Honeymoon on hold.
— Priscilla Morin, San Diego, California
Three syllables from
Just four letters, it's more than
You think, Ohio.
— Rick Hyde, Hiram, Ohio
Best people watching
in Austin: Broken Spoke on
a Saturday night
Singing Cream at free
High Ball karaoke, sounds
like tired starlings
Austin never met
geezer singers, tattoos or
dogs it didn't like."
— Neil Ruddy, Carlisle, Iowa
Program 335 Extra 1 - Jennifer Wilson shares the folk wisdom she learned from a Croatian neighbor about what really matters in life. (runs 1:08)
Program 335 Extra 2 - Rick, and tour guides Riccardo Panareo and Ann Long from Italy, talk to caller Karen from Macomb, Illinois about the recovery of the Cinque Terre towns that were devastated by flash floods in the fall of 2011, but are welcoming visitors again this year. (runs 4:17)