Program 336a: Waters of Rome; Ferenc Mate at Sea; Outdoor France
Release Date: 04-18-2015
Learn about how the waters of Rome — from its ornate fountains to a shrine for the Venus of the Sewers — can be a refreshing way to explore this ancient capital. We'll also hear from Ferenc Máté how sailing the dangerous waters around Canada's Vancouver Island set the scene for the first of his Dugger mystery novels. And for some serious fresh air and exercise, we explore options for activities in the great French outdoors.
- Francesca Caruso, tour guide based in Rome
- Gene Openshaw, co-author of Rick Steves' "Europe 101" art history book
- Ferenc Máté, vintner and author of the novels "Sea of Lost Dreams" (W. W. Norton) and "Ghost Sea" (Penguin)
- Virginie Moré, tour guide based in Brittany, France
- Francesca Caruso provides her contact information and more on her website.
- There was a shrine built to the "Venus of the Sewer" in the Roman Forum.
- The fourth-century Basilica di San Clemente in Rome is known for its 12th century mosaic, and its underground tour of a first century AD Roman street scene.
- Wikipedia has a list, with photos, of major fountains in Rome.
- Rome's Trevi Fountain is undergoing renovations, which are scheduled to be completed by summer 2015.
- There's a two-minute video trailer to Ferenc Máté's 2011 novel "Sea of Lost Dreams" on You Tube.
- Ferenc's book "Ghost Sea" takes place among the Kwakiutl people in the remote northern coast of Canada's Vancouver Island.
- Rick and Ferenc mention the Native masks and totem collections at the University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver, and the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria.
- There are hundreds of designated "GR" footpaths for longer hikes in France. Many have accommodations along the way.
- The official website of the Tour-de-France bicycle race has an English language section for American visitors, and shows each year's route. It is being held July 4-26 in 2015.
- An online list of ski areas at Chamonix includes web cam views.
- A listing of ski lift options in France.
- Trip Advisor has user reviews of the Cirque de Gavarnie hiking route in the Pyrenees near Lourdes.
Anguilla Haiku Award
sugar in water
to tempt you sweet little bird
you capture our hearts
minnow scatter like
confetti as the houndfish
glistens on the scene
all strut and bustle
jaunty plumed tail, cockscomb crown
this lot. your kingdom
frigate bird flying
above, elegant. Below
soaring sting ray sails
I always seek you
broad-shouldered, bright-belted knight
of the starry sky."
— Christine Kouwenhoven, Baltimore