Program 349: Sochi 2014; Pauline Frommer's New York City; European New Year's Traditions
Release Date: 12-28-2013
Find out more about Russia's Black Sea resort city of Sochi and how the Winter Olympic games are affecting local attitudes. Pauline Frommer offers enthusiastic tips for making a visit to New York City fun and affordable. And friends from Europe share their local traditions for welcoming in the New Year in Spain, Croatia, Wales, Scotland, Belgium and Portugal.
- Journalist Julia Barton
- Call-out to Sochi native Alex Kossovsky
- Pauline Frommer, author of Frommer's 2014 Easy Guide to New York
- Official website for the Organizing Committee of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games 2014 in Sochi, Russia.
- Wikipedia's entry about Sochi includes photos of the city.
- Pauline Frommer writes the Frommers 2014 Easy Guide to New York about visiting her hometown.
- The revised Frommers.com website also has a detailed destination guide to New York City.
- Three of the iconic things that Pauline Frommer recommends that a visitor to New York must see are the 9/11 Memorial, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island.
- Pauline cites Broadway Box, Playbill, and TheaterMania as outlets for discounted tickets for Broadway plays.
- Three publications that Pauline recommends for event listings in New York City are New York magazine, The New Yorker, and Time Out. She also suggests the talks, readings, and performances at the 92nd Street Y.
- Other sites Pauline mentions in New York City are the Tenement Museum and the Broadway Dance Center.