Program 379: Biking in Amsterdam; How Paris Became Paris; Open Phones: Paris
Release Date: 09-20-2014
Find out how easy it is to cycle almost anywhere in The Netherlands. Also, learn how Paris was a leader in designing attractive plazas and parks that anyone can enjoy like an outdoor living room, whether you live there, or are just planning a visit.
- Nica Johnson, tour guide based in Amsterdam
- Joan DeJean, author of "How Paris Became Paris: The Invention of the Modern City" (Bloomsbury)
- Safety tips for visitors who want to cycle in Amsterdam.
- Information about the popularity of cycling in the Netherlands, with maps of designated routes.
- A guide to Vondelpark in Amsterdam.
- Publisher's webpage for Joan deJean's book "How Paris Became Paris."
- Participants on Trip Advisor discuss their favorite aspects of the Place des Vosges in Paris.
- Fat Tire offers English-language bike tours of Paris, Barcelona, Berlin and London.
- Torre Argentina is a no-kill cat shelter that caller Lana mentions in Rome.
- A popular guide to the cemeteries of Paris is called "Permanent Parisians."
- The Paris Museum Pass allows you to jump ahead of many of the long lines at popular sites.
Pgm 379 extra - Nica Johnson tells Rick how to enjoy a snack of herring on the streets of Amsterdam. (runs :56)