Program 384: Oklahoma City; Honolulu; A Blue Mind
Release Date: 11-08-2014
Learn how recent upgrades have helped turn Oklahoma City into a "big-league city." And hear what people are talking about in Honolulu, and how this city’s cultural offerings can enhance any trip to Hawaii. Plus, author Wallace J. Nichols explains how being near water really can benefit your state of mind, even if it just means taking a long bath now and then.
- Travel writer Robert Reid
- Don Wallace, author of "The French House" (Sourcebooks)
- Wallace J. Nichols, author of "Blue Mind" (Little, Brown)
- Robert Reid writes about "Offbeat Travels" for National Geographic.
- Robert writes about a recent road trip into the Oklahoma Panhandle on his Reid on Travel website.
- The Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department lists some of the top things to do in Oklahoma City.
- The Oklahoma National Stockyards has a website to help plan a visit.
- The website for the Red Earth museum and festival.
- The Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum commemorates the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in 1995.
- "Route 66" is mostly an historical reconstruction of the two-lane highway that used to connect Chicago to California, running through Oklahoma.
- The Hawaii Tourism Authority lists sites and events in Honolulu.
- Lonely Planet adds to the list of local favorites to explore in Honolulu.
- An online guide to Honolulu's Chinatown.
- A detailed guide to Waikiki.
- Big wave surfing peaks during the winter months on the North Shore of Oahu.
- Don Wallace's website features his latest book "The French House," about the decades he and his family spent restoring a decaying farmhouse on Belle Île, off the coast of Brittany.
- Don Wallace's "The French House" is reviewed online by the Hawaii Book and Music Festival.
- Wallace J. Nichols explores how to develop your "blue mind" on his website, where he also outlines his Blue Marbles Project to share "random acts of blue gratitude" around the world.
- J. also writes for the Huffington Post.
- Publisher's page for Blue Mind.
- Outside magazine featured Wallace J. Nichols' work in November 2011.
- Operation Surf includes a video of its surf therapy for wounded veterans on its website.
- Paul K. Piff at U. C. Irvine writes about his studies into the psychological benefits of beauty and awe on his website.
More with Don Wallace - Don Wallace gives a caller from suburban Chicago tips on two of the best ramen noodle restaurants in Honolulu.