Program 398: Traditional Irish Music; How to Be Irish; Exploring Belfast
Release Date: 03-14-2015
Give yourself an authentic Saint Patrick's Day as friends from Ireland demonstrate how traditional folk music continues to play an important role in their lives on a level that everyone can enjoy. Explore the sights of Ireland's second city, Belfast, and hear how Northern Ireland has outgrown its reputation for sectarian violence. We'll also have pointers on what it really means to be Irish.
- Cathie Ryan, singer based in County Louth, Ireland
- Dara Herlihy, from the family-owned Dingle Music Shop
- Barry Moloney, tour guide based in Kinsale, Ireland
- Stephen McPhilemy, tour guide and innkeeper based in Dingle and Derry
- Susie Millar, broadcaster and tour guide from Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Cathie Ryan has touring and CD information on her website. She has also been lead singer of the American Celtic group Cherish The Ladies.
- The Dingle Music Shop, run by the Herlihy family, gets high praise on Trip Advisor for its concerts and atmosphere.
- Josh Mittleman has written a "beginner's guide to the bodhran" Irish drum.
- Irish public broadcaster RTÉ operates radio and television services in the Irish language in the Republic of Ireland.
- Barry Moloney conducts historical walking tours of his hometown, Kinsale.
- Stephen McPhilemy operates the Milltown House on the Dingle Harbour in the Republic of Ireland.
- Hiberno-English, the English spoken in Ireland, is recognized as a set of dialects, influenced by the Irish language.
- Susie Millar conducts tours of Belfast, including sites associated with the doomed ship Titanic.
- Information for planning a visit to Belfast.
- Belfast's Titanic Museum opened in 2012.
- Some of the major sites in Belfast include the large shipyard cranes operated by Harland and Wolff, the elegant Belfast City Hall, the Ulster Museum, and the Palm House at the Botanic Gardens.
- Trip Advisor has photos and reviews of the National Trust-owned Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast.
- There are location tours of sites filmed around Belfast for the TV series "Game of Thrones."
- A list of murals in and around Belfast.