Program 425: Jamón; Scandinavian Cuisine; A Tavola in Italy; 'Life from Scratch'
Release Date: 11-21-2015
Hear what makes Spain's jamón the best ham in the world, then learn about the traditional comfort foods of Scandinavia, and the after-dinner customs that keep Italians lingering at restaurant tables. And find out why a Tulsa mom embarked on a four-year project to prepare meals from every country in the world.
- Federico García Barroso, tour guide from Madrid
- Francisco Glaría, tour guide from Pamplona, Spain
- Pål Johansen, tour guide from Oslo
- Åsa Danielsson, tour guide from Stockholm
- Jane Klausen, Danish-born tour guide to Scandinavia
- Stacy Gibboni, tour guide to Italy
- Caterina Moore, Venice-based tour guide to Italy
- Sasha Martin, author of Life from Scratch (National Geographic)
- Wikipedia discusses why jamón ibérico is probably the most expensive ham in the world.
- Tour guide Federico García Barroso is based in Madrid, and tour guide Francisco Glaría specializes in the Navarra region of Spain from his home base in Pamplona.
- The Huffington Post took photos of the much-lauded locavore dishes offered at Noma in Copenhagen.
- The Stockholm Visitors Board offers an online guide to restaurants in Stockholm.
- A guide to the different varieties of aquavit liquor in Scandinavia.
- Contact information for Åsa Danielsson in Stockholm is on TourHQ.
- Stacy Gibboni's husband operates the Bentigodi di Chef Domenico restaurant in Venice and gets many rave reviews from diners.
- Stacy Gibboni's artwork in Venice is featured on the Insightful Travel and Tours website.
- Sasha Martin's Global Table Adventure website includes recipes she's served her family, and recommendations for cooking the flavors of the world in your own kitchen.
- Sasha Martin's book about her life and her stovetop travels is called Life from Scratch.
In Gifford Pinchot
Rain. Listen, talk, laugh, love, read, sleep,
Rain. Go east, for sun.
— Stephanie Varnadore, Renton, Washington
Swish of bullet train
All aboard, Japan flies by
— Kim Daul, Chicago
Took Mom to Norway
Best to travel while she can
Me, never wiser.
— Claudia Mulcahy, Carlsbad, California