Program 438: Saints of Italy; Jubilee Year in Rome; Michelangelo's Masterpieces
Release Date: 03-26-2016
Hear why patron saints are so important to Siena, then get tips from guides in Rome for navigating the crowds during the Vatican's 2016 Jubilee Year observance. And listen in as author Miles J. Unger explains how the masterpieces of Michelangelo can take us into his Renaissance world.
- Anna Piperato, tour guide based in Siena, Italy
- Nina Bernardo, Cecilia Bottai, Ben Cameron, tour guides based in Rome
- Miles J. Unger, author of "Michelangelo: A Life in Six Masterpieces" (Simon & Schuster)
- Rick's guide to the sights in Siena.
- Padre Pio is known for his claim of having signs of the stigmata on his body.
- Siena's Saint Catherine is the patron saint of Italy and of Europe.
- The 2016 Jubilee "Year of Mercy" declaration by Pope Francis.
- The English language portal to the official Vatican website.
- The Santa Susanna church is home to the Roman Catholic American community in Rome.
- Miles J. Unger is the author of "Michelangelo: A Life in Six Masterpieces."
- Wikipedia lists the sculptures, paintings and architectural works of Michelangelo.