Program 453a: Rome Neighborhoods; Crazy Rides; Ex-Yugoslavia
Release Date: 11-05-2022
Get tips for how to "do as the Romans do" in Rome's modern-day neighborhoods. Hear about the travel writer Will Hide's latest crazy rides, from cycling across the hills of Rwanda to driving what might be the world's "most dangerous road" up from Delhi into the Himalayas. Plus listen in as guides from Slovenia and Bosnia take listener calls to help plan fun trips to the countries of the former Yugoslavia.
- Rome tour guides Nina Bernardo, Cecilia Bottai, and Ben Cameron
- Travel writer Will Hide
- Tina Hiti and Anja Cuznar, tour guides based in Slovenia
- Sanel Marić, tour guide based in Mostar, Bosnia-Herzogovina
- Rick posts an online phone video from his nighttime visit to the Monti neighborhood of Rome.
- Rome's Musei Centrale Montemartini includes some English-language information on its website.
- Other Rome neighborhoods mentioned today that are popular for outdoor drinks and dining include Ponte Milvio and the Pigneto neighborhood.
- Nina Bernardo offers private guiding and Pilates sessions in Rome.
- Cecilia Bottai offers advance-booking tours of her family winery Tenuta Le Velette, near Orvieto.
- Will Hide writes about his Rwanda bicycle tour for the UAE-based publication The National.
- Will's driving adventure took him to Kyi Gonpa in the Spiti Valley in India's Himalayas.
- Wikipedia discusses the 20th century history of Yugoslavia in detail.
- Anja's hometown Ptuj is the oldest city in Slovenia.
- Tour guide Tina Hiti is based in the Lake Bled area of Slovenia.
- The Museum of Broken Relationships in Zagreb, Croatia won an award for being "the most innovative museum in Europe."