Program 469: Fresh Starts: Schultz and Sedaris; Outdoor Adventures; Unseen City
Release Date: 12-31-2016
Authors David Sedaris and Patricia Schultz encourage making travel plans in the new year. Chris Santella recommends getting outdoors for an adrenaline kick heli-skiing in Alaska or a civilized game of golf on the coast of Ireland. Plus, Nate Johnson stirs up our curiosity about urban wildlife from the birds we take for granted to the plants we never noticed.
- Patricia Schultz, author of "1000 Places to See Before You Die" and "1000 Places to See in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die" (Workman Publishing)
- Author David Sedaris
- Chris Santella, author of the "50 Places" recreation guidebooks (Abrams Books)
- Nathanael Johnson, author of "Unseen City" (Rodale Books)
- Patricia Schultz' "1000 Places to See Before You Die" books and calendars are published by Workman Publishing.
- Chris Santella is the author of the "50 Places" series of recreation guides. Their topics include expert recommendations for places to bicycle, fly fish, ski and snowboard, and even to drink beer around the world.
- Olympic gold medalist Tommy Moe is a co-owner of the Tordrillo Mountain Lodge for heli-skiing in Alaska.
- Rick enjoys river rafting with River Odysseys West in Idaho.
- Nathanael Johnson is the author of "Unseen City." It was reviewed by the San Francisco Chronicle. Nate also writes about food and environmental issues for Grist.
More about the Scottish new year - There is a whole batch of fun traditions and superstitions that people in Scotland use to welcome in the new year "for auld lang syne." Ken Hanley and Anne Doig from Edinburgh explain how they usher in a Scottish new year. (runs 3:33)