Program 470: Greek Food; World's Smartest Travelers; 1,000 Places USA and Canada
Release Date: 01-07-2017
Learn how eating like a Greek could be an ideal way to improve your diet in the new year. Then listen in as consumer-travel advocate Christopher Elliott explains why travel insurance isn't always a good deal, and author Patricia Schultz recommends a thousand places you should plan to see in the US, plus her top picks for places to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday.
- Ioanna Papacosta, tour guide from Patros, Greece
- Anastasia Gaitanou, tour guide from Thessaloniki, Greece
- David Willett, tour guide specializing in Greece
- Travel columnist Christopher Elliott, founder of Elliott.org and author of "How to Be the World's Smartest Traveler" (National Geographic Books)
- Patricia Schultz, author of "1000 Places to See Before You Die" and "1000 Places to See in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die" (Workman Publishing)
- Anastasia Gaitanou is a member of the World Federation of Tourist Guides Association.
- Ouzo is a popular anise-flavored drink in Greece.
- The Culinary Linguist describes how to brine your own olives, Greek style.
- The Mediterranean Dish website include a recipe for traditional Greek tzatziki sauce.
- Christopher Elliott hosts a travelers' consumer help forum online at Elliott.org. It includes a readers' forum on travel insurance issues.
- Chris also writes columns for the Huffington Post and USA Today.
- Chris was a co-founder of Travelers United, which advocates for travelers' interests with government policy in Washington DC.
- The Transportation Safety Administration's Pre-Check application.
- Patricia Schultz has just released the third edition of her "1,000 Places to See in the U.S. and Canada Before You Die." It includes recommendations for noteworthy sites in all 50 states and each Canadian province.
- The Montana Cowboy Poetry Gathering is held in August in Lewistown.
- The State Fair of Texas is held in early fall in Dallas.
- Parks Canada is offering free admission to national parks in 2017 for the sesquicentennial.
- Via Rail, Canada Rail Adventures, and the Rocky Mountaineer offer train excursions in the Canadian Rockies.
- The National Park Service guide to Gettysburg National Military Park.
- Trip Advisor compares different types of tours of Detroit, and lists things to do in Charleston, South Carolina.
More with Patricia Schultz - Patricia Schultz tells Rick why she loves the "Four Corners" region of the United States, and the importance of National Parks. (runs 1:24)