Program 473: Becoming a Road-Trip Pilgrim; China Tourism; Nationalism in Europe
Release Date: 02-04-2017
Discover the rewards of being a "road-trip pilgrim," as explained by author Dan Austin. Then journalist Elizabeth Becker describes how China's mandatory Golden Week holidays have boosted the worldwide travel industry, and how China's investments in tourism are paying off. And a panel of Europeans discuss how the recent rise of populist politics is playing out across the European Union.
- Dan Austin, author of "True Fans" and "The Road Trip Pilgrim's Guide," and co-founder of the 88 Bikes Foundation
- Journalist Elizabeth Becker, author of "Overbooked" (Simon and Schuster)
- Fabian Rueger, tour guide to Germany
- Nina Bernardo, tour guide to Italy
- Patrick Vidal, tour guide to France
- Dan Austin's original cross-country bicycle trip is documented in his "True Fans" book and video.
- Dan Austin has written "The Road Trip Pilgrim's Guide."
- The 88 Bikes Foundation is a project Dan co-founded to provide free bicycles to children and young people in the developing world.
- Elizabeth Becker writes about recent trends in the global travel industry in "Overbooked," which was reviewed in the New York Journal of Books. It was also reviewed by the New York Times when it was first released in 2013.
- Wikipedia discusses recent tourism trends in China.