Program 477: Marty Essen’s Favorite Wild Animals; Ireland 2017
Release Date: 03-11-2017
Photographer Marty Essen talks to Rick about his close encounters with animals in their native environments. And guides from Ireland recommend their favorite parts of Ireland to explore for people visiting this year.
- Marty Essen, author of "Endangered Edens" and "Cool Creatures, Hot Planet" (Encante Press)
- Stephen McPhilemy, tour guide and innkeeper in Dingle, Ireland
- Pascal Fitzpatrick, tour guide and proprietor of Fitzpatrick's Coaches for Hire, County Monaghan, Ireland
- Stephen McPhilemy operates the Milltown House bed and breakfast on the Dingle Harbour in the Republic of Ireland.
Pascal Fitzpatrick is an owner and driver for Fitzpatrick Coaches for Hire, based in County Monaghan.
- The discoverireland.ie website is operated by the National Tourism Development Authority in the Republic of Ireland.
- The tourism and investment website for County Donegal.
- Davy Byrne's Pub in Dublin was a favorite of writer James Joyce, and is visited on June 16, "Bloomsday," by fans of his book "Ulysses." Other James Joyce-related sites in Dublin include the historic Sweny's Pharmacy for a bar of lemon soap, and the museum at the James Joyce Centre.
- The Dublin Literary Pub Crawl provides historical walking tours in Dublin.
- Joe Darcy offers private literary-themed walking tours of Dublin.
- W. B. Yates' gravestone presents an opportunity for literary discussion.
- The Irish Whiskey Museum is in Dublin. There are also tours of the large Jameson Distillery in Midleton, County Cork.
Pgm 477 extra - Marty Essen and Rick talk about learning to see camouflaged animals on a wilderness hike, the importance of watching your step in places where deadly snakes hang out, and the tiny poison dart frog. (runs 3:34)