Program 478: Versailles; Being French; Understanding Israel in 60 Days or Less
Release Date: 03-25-2017
Rick and two French guides offer tips for planning a visit to the royal palace of Versailles and discuss contemporary issues facing France. Graphic Novelist Sarah Glidden discusses her first trip to Israel on a Birthright tour.
- Patrick Vidal, tour guide based in Brittany, France
- Julie Sonveau, tour guide based in Burgundy, France
- Sarah Glidden, author/illustrator of "How To Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less" and "Rolling Blackouts" (Drawn and Quarterly)
- Rick's online guide to Versailles.
- The Paris Museum Pass includes admission to the palace and other sites at Versailles.
- The Rick Steves website has online interviews with France tour guides Patrick Vidal and Julie Sonveau.
- The travel planning website for the Alsace Wine Route, or "rue de vin."
- Video of Rick's visit to the Emile Beyer winery in Alsace is posted on his blog.
- Sarah Glidden visited Israel on a tour licensed by Birthright Israel. It included a visit to the Yad Vashem World Holocaust Memorial Remembrance Center in Jerusalem.
- Sarah's first graphic novel is "How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less."
- Her latest work, "Rolling Blackouts," details her travels as part of a reporting crew in Turkey, Iraq and Syria.
- Rick created a television special, "Rick Steves' The Holy Land," about his own trip to Israel and Palestine in 2014.
Pgm 478 extra - A caller from Vancouver, Washington reminds Rick and his French tour guide guests Patrick Vidal and Julie Sonveau, to also explore the gardens and countryside when visiting Versailles. She tells us what she enjoyed about the Marie Antoinette Hamlet, where the queen created her own version of country life. (runs 1:54)