Program 482: Andalucía April Fair; Walking England; City Squares
Release Date: 04-22-2017
A tour guide from Seville explains how its annual April Fair animates her city, and anchors a season of outdoor festivals in southern Spain. Then tour guides from Britain share their favorite places to go walking in the countryside — rain or shine. And we consider how public squares can give their cities a sense of identity.
- Concepcion Delgado, local tour guide based in Seville, Spain
- Roy Nicholls, Gillian Chadwick, Tom Hooper, tour guides based in England
- Catie Marron, author of "City Squares" (Harper Collins)
- The Spring Feria in Seville runs April 30 through May 6 in 2017.
- Rick writes about the festival atmosphere in Seville.
- The Rick Steves travel guide to southwest Portugal's Algarve region.
- Online interviews with Roy Nicholls and Gillian Chadwick.
- A guide to the major National Trails of England and Wales includes the rugged Pennine Way in the north, the South Downs Way and Offa's Dyke Path.
- The Great Wessex Way hiking trail is in Dorset, in the south of England.
- The Visit Cornwall website lists locations included as backdrops in the Poldark TV series.
- Catie Marron is the author/editor of "City Squares." Her earlier work is "City Parks."
- Catie is also the chair of the Friends of The High Line, New York City's elevated parkway.
- Catie wrote an editorial for the New York Daily News about the development plans for Pier 55 in Manhattan.
- Campo de' Fiori is a popular public square in Rome.
- Djemaa el-Fnaa is a busy square throughout the day in Marrakech.