Program 483: Russia Grand Tour; London This Year; What Europeans Think of Americans
Release Date: 05-06-2017
Author Lisa Dickey describes her recurring travels around Russia, where she explores how life keeps changing for the average local citizen. Then we'll get up to date on the newest and not-to-be-missed sights in London as a tour guide highlights the special exhibits and events luring visitors to the city this year. Plus, tour guides from Hungary, Germany, and Greece discuss how US pop culture has influenced their lives…and their views of Americans.
- Lisa Dickey, author of "Bears in the Streets" (St. Martin's Press)
- Jeanie Carmichael, tour guide based in London
- Holger Zimmer, tour guide from Berlin
- Anastasia Gaitanou, tour guide from Thessaloniki, Greece
- George Farkas, tour guide from Budapest
- Lisa Dickey wrote "Bears in the Streets" about the people she got to know on three trips across Russia.
- Three of the lesser-visited communities Lisa visited in Russia were Ulan-Ude, capital of the Buryat Autonomous Republic in Siberia, Listvyanka, on the southern tip of Lake Baikal, and Kazan, the capital of the Tatarstan Autonomous Republic.
- Among the events planned for 2017, the Victoria and Albert Museum has a special exhibit about the rock band Pink Floyd from May 13 into October. Kensington Palace has opened a new White Garden in memory of Princess Diana, and the Tate Britain has a special exhibit on "Queer British Art" through October 1st.
- The Crossrail high speed train tunnel being dug under London has uncovered archaeological treasures of eight thousand years ago, which are being displayed at the Museum of London.
- Sir John Soane's Museum, in the Lincoln's Inns Fields section of central London, has just had a major refurbishment to display its eclectic collection. It was the home of one of England's greatest architects from the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Among the many London museums Jeanie Carmichael and Rick recommend are the new Design Museum near Holland Park, the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood, Kew Gardens, and the Imperial War Museums.
- A neighbourhood guide to King's Cross.
- Time Out magazine includes listings of free activities and exhibits geared for children.
- The musical of Roald Dahl's "Matilda" is playing at the Cambridge Theatre in London.
- Information about seating and ticket prices is included on the website for Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.
More with Holger Zimmer - Tour guide Holger Zimmer from Berlin describes the discomfort many American travelers encounter when confronted with nude sunbathing in public in Germany, where people are trying for an "even tan." (runs 2:20)