Program 488: Enjoy Your Seat; Lisbon Neighborhoods; Buenos Aires Bio
Release Date: 06-24-2017
Tune in as Rick gets tips from frequent traveler Wendy on how to actually enjoy a long-distance flight in coach. Then we'll hear expert advice from Lisbon-based tour guides for enjoying the intimate neighborhoods of Portugal's historic capital. And learn about the mix of European elegance and Latin culture that led architecture critic James Gardner to buy an apartment in Argentina's fascinating capital city.
- Wendy E. Simmons, author of "My Holiday In North Korea" (Rosetta Books)
- Cristina Duarte and Rafael Pereira, tour guides from Lisbon
- James Gardner, author of "Buenos Aires: The Biography of a City" (St. Martin's Press)
- Wendy Simmons writes about her travels for the Huffington Post, including a blog post with advice for travelers. She also wrote the book "My Holiday in North Korea."
- Rick's travel planning guide to Lisbon.
- Rough Guides and Blanca Valbuena provide overviews of Lisbon's neighborhoods.
- Trip Advisor discusses the popular Tram #28 in Lisbon.
- Monchique is a rural area in the southern Algarve region of Portugal that Rafael recommends for a quieter retirement respite.
- Cristina Duarte's website include her contact information for private tours of Lisbon. There's also a short interview with her in the tour section of the Rick Steves website.
- The website Gringo in Buenos Aires discusses the city's noteworthy architecture.
- Pope Francis is a native of Buenos Aires. He posts inspirational comments often on his Twitter account.
- Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires is home to some 5,000 architecturally-interesting mausoleums, including the grave of Eva Peron.
- BBC Mundo in Buenos Aires covered the inauguration of Argentine president Mauricio Macri in December 2016.
More with James Gardner - <p>James Gardner, the author of "Buenos Aires: The Biography of a City," tells Rick how the political history of Argentina turns nostalgia into something of an institution in Buenos Aires. (runs 4:23)</p>