Program 488a: Enjoy Your Seat; Lisbon Neighborhoods; Buenos Aires Bio
Release Date: 05-30-2020
Get stoked for when we can travel again with expert advice on enjoying Lisbon's intimate and historic neighborhoods. Architecture critic James Gardner tells us why he bought an apartment in Buenos Aires, where European elegance and Latin culture combine. And frequent traveler Wendy Simmons shares tips for enjoying your time in the air the next time you take a long-distance flight.
- Wendy E. Simmons, author of "My Holiday In North Korea" (Rosetta Books)
- Cristina Duarte and Rafael Pereira, tour guides from Lisbon
- James Gardner, author of "Buenos Aires: The Biography of a City" (St. Martin's Press)
- Wendy Simmons has written about her frequent world travels for the Huffington Post, including a blog post with advice for travelers. She also wrote the book "My Holiday in North Korea."
- Rick's travel planning guide to Lisbon.
- Rough Guides provides overviews of Lisbon's neighborhoods.
- Monchique is a rural area in the southern Algarve region of Portugal that Rafael recommends for a quieter retirement respite.
- Cristina Duarte's website include her contact information for private tours of Lisbon.
- James Gardner has written "Buenos Aires: The Biography of a City" to describe how the city came to be what it is today. James has written architectural reviews of New York City for The Real Deal and art history reviews for the Weekly Standard.
- Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires is home to some 5,000 architecturally-interesting mausoleums, including the grave of Eva Peron.
More with James Gardner - James Gardner, the author of "Buenos Aires: The Biography of a City," tells Rick how the political history of Argentina turns nostalgia into something of an institution in Buenos Aires. (runs 4:06)