Program 494a: Liechtenstein Day; Gelato; The English Moors
Release Date: 08-10-2019
Hear about what it's like to celebrate National Day in Liechtenstein, one of the world's smallest — and wealthiest — countries. (Hint: Free beer at the palace!) Then learn the secret to gelato's distinctive smooth texture and get tips for picking the best gelato shop in any Italian town. And tour guides from Britain tell us why a hike in the wild and windy English moors can be a delightfully uncrowded way to escape into nature.
- Dave Seminara, author of "Bed, Breakfast & Drunken Threats" (Jean-Albert Dadas Press)
- Alfio di Mauro, tour guide based in Sicily
- Anna Piperato, tour guide based in Tuscany
- Roy Nicholls, tour guide based in Dorset, England
- Tom Hooper, tour guide based in London
- Wikipedia provides detailed information about Liechtenstein.
- Dave Seminara distills some of his most memorable travel encounters in his book "Bed, Breakfast & Drunken Threats: Dispatches from the Margins of Europe." You'll often see Dave's byline on travel articles at the New York Times and BBC Travel.
- Gelato University in Bologna has expanded to campuses in other countries.
- The Grom chain of gelato shops lists its locations across Italy and abroad.
- The gelato-making classes at Gelateria David in Sorrento get high marks on Trip Advisor.
- Tom Hooper is certified with the British Guild of Tourist Guides.
- The West Yorkshire Moorlands are a national park, and include sites related to the Bronte sisters.
- Detailed maps of hiking trails in England are available in print and online from the British Ordinance Survey.
Koh Samet white sand
frothy spring sea invites us
cautious toes take plunge.
— Mary E. Croy, Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Summer sun glows on
Spires across the water
Stockholm 10 at "night."
— Holly Vendewah, Boston
Pelicans catch the
Fish — little terns just sit there
And catch the tidbits.
— Neil Ruddy, Carlisle, Iowa
Seagulls gliding by
A great day at the ocean
There go my crackers!
— Varun Lakshman Wescott, Woodinville, Washington
More with Dave Seminara - Travel writer Dave Seminara tells Rick about meeting the Prince on Liechtenstein's National Day, and explains how difficult it is to become a citizen of Liechtenstein. (runs 3:04)