Program 509: Slavic Firewater; “Bears in the Streets”; Places to Drink Beer; Edinburgh New Year's Eve
Release Date: 12-30-2017
Pour a festive glass as we learn about the strong, often homemade liquors that lend zest to celebrations across Eastern Europe. Then hear where to find some of the world's best beer, from the author of "50 Places to Drink Beer Before You Die." And join the party as friends from Edinburgh offer a wee taste of the Scottish capital's year-end Hogmanay festivities. Plus, author and former Moscow resident Lisa Dickey tells us how the people of Russia are coping with a changing world.
- Jana Hronkova, tour guide from Prague
- Amir Telibecirovic, tour guide and journalist from Sarajevo
- Lisa Dickey, author of "Bears in the Streets" (St. Martin's Press)
- Chris Santella, author of "Why I Fly Fish" and the "50 Places" recreation guidebook series (Abrams Books)
- Ken Hanley and Anne Doig, Blue Badge-certified tour guides from Edinburgh
- Jana Hronkova's tour company is called Experience Prague.
- Amir Telibecirovic recently gave a presentation at the University of Michigan on the history of Muslims in Bosnia.
- Lisa Dickey wrote "Bears in the Streets" about the people she got to know on three trips across Russia.
- Chris Santella is the author of the "50 Places" series of recreation guides, including "50 Places to Drink Beer Before You Die." He also writes online sporting columns for The A Position.
- Ken Hanley's tour company is called Small World Tours. Anne Doig is a member of the Scottish Tourist Guides Association.