Program 511a: Open Phones: Travel Plans; Buffy Sainte-Marie; The Yellow Envelope
Release Date: 07-25-2020
Singer Buffy Sainte-Marie tells us how her activist album "Medicine Songs" raises awareness about our place in today's world. Author Kim Dinan tells us how a yellow envelope a friend gave her set the tone for a three-year, round-the-world adventure. And listeners share concerns they have as they plan their next overseas travels.
- Singer Buffy Sainte-Marie
- Kim Dinan, author of "The Yellow Envelope" (SourceBooks)
- Buffy Sainte-Marie includes information about her album "Medicine Songs" on her website.
- "Medicine Songs" is Buffy's 18th studio album, and includes a collaboration with Inuit throat singer Tanya Tagaq in this video of the opening track, "You Got To Run."
- Buffy recommends reading Jack Weatherford's 2010 book "Indian Givers" to learn about the global historical influences of the Indian Nations of America.
- Kim Dinan is the author of "The Yellow Envelope."
- Kim participated with 85 teams in the Richshaw Run across India, which is sponsored by The Adventurists.
More with Buffy Sainte-Marie - Buffy Sainte-Marie talks with Rick about her identity as Native, Canadian, and a multi-faceted musician, and Canada's leading role among nations on indigenous issues. (runs 3:30)