Program 513: Fred Plotkin's Culinary Capitals; The New Koreans
Release Date: 02-03-2018
Find out what six cities food maven Fred Plotkin considers to be the world's best places to experience edible ecstasy. Then get an update on today's "New Koreans" from journalist Michael Breen, whose recent book describes the rapid changes afoot in South Korea since its emergence as a worldwide economic and cultural force.
- Fred Plotkin, author of "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" (Kyle Cathie Ltd. Publishers)
- Michael Breen, author of "The New Koreans: The Story of A Nation" (Thomas Dunne Books)
- Fred Plotkin's guide to regional food specialties in Italy is called "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" and covers the food specialties you can find in 504 towns in Italy. He also leads tours for New York Times Journeys.
- Fred Plotkin is hosting a series on "The Great Food Cities of the World," monthly through June at the Smithsonian in Washington.
- Fred recommends reading American culinary historian Jessica B. Harris to learn about the food of New Orleans and the Caribbean diaspora.
- Michael Breen wrote "The New Koreans: The Story of A Nation," to explain the recent accomplishments of the South Koreans in becoming a major global player.
- Michael writes a column for the Korea Times. He also runs a public relations firm, Insight Communications, in Seoul.