Program 515: Artists of Spain; Being Welsh; Being Bosnian
Release Date: 02-24-2018
We look at the top sites where you can experience firsthand the groundbreaking contributions of Spain's greatest artists. Then tour guides from Wales and Bosnia share the facets of their nationalities that mean most to them — such as the Welsh fortitude for enduring the blustery climate that produces such beautiful landscapes, and Bosnians' knack for using humor to defuse the thornier aspects of life in the Balkans.
- Federico Garcia Barroso, tour guide based in Madrid
- Gene Openshaw, art and history specialist, and co-author of "Rick Steves' Europe 101"
- Martin de Lewandowicz, tour guide/historian from North Wales
- Sanel Maric, tour guide and educator from Mostar, Bosnia
- Amir Telebecirovic, journalist and tour guide based in Sarajevo
- Gene rates the top sites for viewing art in Spain as the Prado museum in Madrid, Picasso's Guernica in Madrid, The Alhambra in Granada, and Gaudi's modernista work-in-progress Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona.
- A view of Velasquez' groundbreaking painting "Las Meninas" at the Prado in Madrid.
- Gene also recommends making a day trip from Barcelona to view the Dalí Museum in Figueres.
- Tour guide Federico Garcia Barroso offers customized tours of Madrid and surrounding areas of Spain.
- Rick and Gene have written "Europe 101" to introduce travelers to the art and history of Europe.
- The Mt. Snowdon Mountain Railway steam train begins its season in May. The Bodnant Garden near Conwy is open year-round.
- More about Martin DeLewandowicz.
- Rick writes about the symbolism of the historic bridge in Mostar.
- The Bridge on the Drina is the best-known work by Nobel-prize winning author Ivo Andric.