Program 515a: Artists of Spain; Being Welsh; Being Bosnian
Release Date: 02-25-2023
We look at the top sites where you can experience firsthand the groundbreaking contributions of Spain's greatest artists. Then tour guides from Wales and Bosnia share the facets of their nationalities that mean most to them — such as the Welsh fortitude for enduring the blustery climate that produces such beautiful landscapes, and Bosnians' knack for using humor to defuse the thornier aspects of life in the Balkans.
- Federico García Barroso, tour guide based in Madrid
- Gene Openshaw, art and history specialist, and co-author of "Rick Steves Europe's Top 100 Masterpieces" and "Rick Steves' Europe 101"
- Martin de Lewandowicz, tour guide/historian from North Wales
- Sanel Marić, tour guide and educator from near Mostar, in Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Amir Telebecirovic, journalist and tour guide based in Sarajevo
- Gene rates the top sites for viewing art in Spain as the Prado museum in Madrid (which includes Velasquez' painting "Las Meninas"), Picasso's Guernica in Madrid, The Alhambra in Granada, and Gaudi's modernista work-in-progress, the Sagrada Família church in Barcelona.
- Tour guide Federico Garcia Barroso offers customized tours of Madrid and surrounding areas of Spain.
- Rick and Gene present European art history in their six-part "Art of Europe" TV series.
- The "We Learn Welsh" website offers alternatives to saying "iawn" to express how you feel in Welsh.
- The Mt. Snowdon Mountain Railway steam train begins its season in April. The Bodnant Garden near Conwy is open year-round.
- More about Martin DeLewandowicz.
- Rick writes about the symbolism of the historic bridge in Mostar.
- The Bridge on the Drina is the best-known work by Nobel-prize winning author Ivo Andrić.