Program 519: Saints of France and Ireland; David Suchet in the Footsteps of St. Peter
Release Date: 03-31-2018
Get acquainted with some of the most popular French and Italian saints, and learn why they remain important to their countrymen. Plus, actor David Suchet shares what he discovered while making a documentary about the life and times of St. Peter, and the first-century world he inhabited in Galilee.
- Julie Sonveau and Patrick Vidal, tour guides from France
- Stephen McPhilemy, tour guide from Ireland
- Cathie Ryan, singer and tour guide from Ireland
- Actor David Suchet, host of "In the Footsteps of Saint Peter" (BBC-CTVC / Vision Video)
- Joan of Arc became revered in France in the 19th century. Wikipedia has a list of statues that have been erected in her honor in Paris and elsewhere in France.
- Rick got permission to film the stained glass interior of Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, before the crowds were allowed in.
- The Rick Steves website has online interviews with France tour guides Patrick Vidal and Julie Sonveau.
- Reek Sunday in Ireland is the last Sunday of July, when pilgrims climb Croagh Patrick, near Westport.
- Cathie notes that there are healing stones at Faughart, the birthplace of St. Brigid, which is just north of Dundalk in County Louth.
- Cathie Ryan has touring and CD information on her website.
- Stephen McPhilemy operates the Milltown House on the Dingle Harbour.
- Actor David Suchet traveled to the Middle East and Rome to film two documentaries about the apostles Peter and Paul. His first one, "In the Footsteps of Saint Paul," was followed by "In the Footsteps of Saint Peter."
- David Suchet discussed his documentary about Saint Paul on Travel with Rick Steves program 481 in April 2017.