Program 522: Scotland Itineraries; Nafplio
Release Date: 04-28-2018
Tour guides from Scotland recommend their favorite Caledonian experiences, from elegant Edinburgh to clan castles in the Highlands, and even budget getaways for backpackers. Then a pair of world travelers explain why they’ve settled down in Greece’s Nafplio, the picturesque Peloponnesian town that’s a getaway for big-city Athenians, a jumping-off point for history-rich sights nearby, and delightful in its own right.
- Anne Doig, tour guide based in Edinburgh
- James Macletchie, tour guide based on Uist, in the Outer Hebrides Islands
- Nicos Hadjicostis, author of "Destination Earth" (Bamboo Leaf Press)
- Jane Kayantas, fellow-traveler with Nicos
- Anne Doig talks about her work as a tour guide to Scotland.
- James ("Seamus") Macletchie has produced a short video about his home territory in the Outer Hebrides for Green Travel Guides TV.
- Anne recommends making time to see Stirling Castle.
- Rick and the guides recommend visiting the Riverside Museum of Transport and Travel in Glasgow.
- Anne recommends Megabus and City Linking for bus transport between the remote towns of Scotland, which offer budget fares with advance reservations. For students, inexpensive youth hostel-related bus lines include Rabbies Tours, Trail Raiders, Haggis Adventures, The Wee Red Bus, MacBackpackers Tours, among others.
- Nicos Hadjicostis has written "Destination Earth" to discuss what he learned on a six-year round-the-world adventure. Nicos writes a series of "Tuesday Letters" blog observations, from his home in Nafplio.
- Rick's online info about Nafplio, also called "Nafplion," and the island of Hydra.
- Nicos says that three of the most beautiful Greek islands are not far from Nafplio: the pedestrian-only islands of Hydra and Spetses, plus easy-to-reach Poros.