Program 525: Day in New York; NYC High Line; Germany 2018
Release Date: 05-26-2018
Get tips from guidebook author Pauline Frommer on how to make the most of a New York City stopover, and hear how the city's High Line greenway has become one of its best places to stroll and people-watch. Then listen in as tour guides from Berlin share their recommendations for the most enjoyable special events taking place across Germany this year.
- Pauline Frommer, author of "Frommer's Easy Guide to New York City" (Frommer Media)
- Catie Marron, chair of Friends of the High Line and author of "City Squares" (Harper Collins)
- Maisie Hitchcock, Caroline Marburger, and Holger Zimmer, tour guides based in Berlin
- The Frommers.com website also lists recommendations of things you can do in New York City.
- Catie Marron is the author/editor of "City Squares" and "City Parks."
- Catie is also the chair of the Friends of The High Line, and spoke with the New York Times about the city's elevated parkway.
- Maisie Hitchcock is a co-host of the English-language Radio Spatkauf podcast about news and events from Berlin.
- Tour guide Holger Zimmer contributes arts and culture features for RBB kulturradio in Berlin.
- Caroline Marburger writes at BerlinLocals.com about Berlin history.
- Trier, Germany is capitalizing on the 200th anniversary of the birth of Karl Marx there this year.
- Burg-Elz is Rick's top recommended castle to visit in Germany.
Swelter silly pines
Melt into snapshot vistas
Black racer, smooth snake
Skims past shoes toward crisp oak leaves
Fear in underbrush
— Paul Smith, Greensboro North Carolina
A kiss on a hilltop waits
Will you walk with me?
— Karen Miller, Fernandina Beach, Florida
More with Pauline Frommer - Pauline Frommer tells Rick about the Russian nightclubs you can still go to, for cross-cultural fun in Brooklyn's Brighton Beach neighborhood. (runs 1:06)